Children's Mercy Park has been an absolute fortress for Sporting Kansas City this season, but a late mistake by substitute Soni Mustivar led to a stunning equalizer that gave the visiting Montreal Impact a 1-1 draw Saturday and ended SKC's six-game home winning streak.
Mustivar, who had entered the game in the 80th minute, made a back pass to his goalkeeper, Tim Melia that was stolen by Montreal substitute Matteo Mancosu. Mancosu chipped the ball over Melia for the 82nd minute goal that stunned the home crowd and rescued a point for the undermanned visitors. The goal wiped out one in the first half by Gerso Fernandes that had Sporting KC in place to pick up the victory. Montreal then had to survive an 86th minute red card to Chris Duvall to preserve the result.
- YOU NEED DEPTH IN MLS: Between the two clubs, there were 10 players missing from the game, away on international duty, four for Sporting KC and six for Montreal, including two starting defenders and newly acquired Designated Player Blerim Dzemaili. Montreal adjusted by playing with five at the back and bunkering in, and ultimately got the result it was hoping for.
- LAST-MINUTE STAND-IN: Not only were the Impact minus five starters from their last game, but they lost another starter just before kickoff when Jean-Yves Tabla was a last-minute scratch after suffering some kind of injury during warmups. Dominic Oduro was quickly inserted to the lineup in place of Tabla and nearly equalized in the 76th minute, but his apparent goal was waved off for offside. He was substituted off a minute later, and his replacement, Matteo Mancosu, was the one who eventually got the equalizer five minutes after coming on.
- NO TIME TO SULK: Sporting KC has no time to sulk over having the victory snatched away from them. They are back in action midweek in a US Open Cup match against Minnesota United, so they'll have to put this behind them and refocus in a very short time.
- SKC: Wednesday, June 14 – vs. Minnesota United (US Open Cup, 8:30 pm ET | YouTube)
- MTL: Saturday, June 17 – at Orlando (7:30 pm ET | MLS LIVE)