He did again. For a new team.
Just four minutes after coming on, Alan Gordon headed in the game-winner in the 86th minute as the Colorado Rapids used two goals in the final 10 minutes to defeat Columbus Crew SC 2-1 Saturday night at Dick's Sporting Goods Park.
Federico Higuain put the visitors ahead at the hour mark when his shot from 24 yards out deflected off Michael Azira. However, Colorado's Kevin Doyle got on the end of a nice build-up to tie the game with 10 minutes to play. And, just as he's done with his previous clubs, super-sub Gordon scored late, heading in a nice cross from Josh Gatt for his first goal in a Colorado uniform to complete the comeback.
The win is Colorado's third straight at home.
- DEFENSE HOLDS STRONG: Even without goalkeeper Tim Howard (international duty), Best XI centerback Axel Sjoberg (injured) and veteran centerback Bobby Burling (suspended), the Rapids backline still kept a strong Columbus offense in check. Mike la Fonte made only his second MLS start - and first at centerback - and was partnered with homegrown rookie Kortne Ford, who was making only his sixth professional start. Columbus finished with 15 shots, but only forced goalkeeper Zac MacMath to make three saves as he posted his first win since the season opener.
- AZIRA'S HUGE SAVE: Rapids midfielder Michael Azira had the misfortune of having Higuain's shot bounce off his back for the opening goal. However the fourth-year veteran came up huge in the 74th minute. As Columbus winger Justin Meram stepped up to take a free kick from the top of the arc, Azira parked himself on the right side of the goal line while MacMath covered the opposite side. Meram curled the ball over the wall, but Azira was well-positioned to head the ball off the line and prevent Columbus from their second goal.
- VETERAN'S COME THROUGH: On a night when the Rapids inducted the club's all-time leading goal scorer - Conor Casey - into its Gallery of Honor, two veterans attackers stepped up with two big goals. Doyle's goal was only his third of the season, and first since April 15. For Gordon, who came on for Doyle, it was his first goal since joining the team in the off-season, and his first since last October while with the LA Galaxy.
- COL: Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Tuesday, June 13 – vs. Oklahoma City Energy (9 pm ET | TBD)
- CLB: Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Wednesday, June 14 – at FC Cincinnati (7 pm ET | TBD)