HIGHLIGHTS: USA vs Canada | July 18, 2021
Moore’s goal came 20 seconds after kickoff, the second fastest in Gold Cup history. Kellyn Acosta played the ball out wide to Sebastian Lletget and the LA Galaxy midfielder quickly slipped a pass across the six-yard box to the back post where Moore crashed in for the finish.
Bermuda’s Nahki Wells scored 17 seconds into a preliminary round win over Barbados.
Both teams saw influential players leave the match to injury, with Walker Zimmerman forced to sub out following a collision with Richie Laryea in the box that had Canada shout for a penalty. D.C. United’s Donovan Pines was his replacement in the 15th minute.
Canada were close to an equalizer in the first 35 seconds of the second half with Cyle Larin taking advantage of a poor backpass by Pines, but Matt Turner dived to make his first save of the match.
Moments later, Lucas Cavallini came on for Larin, who picked up a knock on the play.
Buchanan had Turner beat for what would have been the critical Canadian equalizer, but his attempt was just wide in the 79th minute. Cavallini put his shot from 20 yards out on frame, but it went right into Turner's arms on the hop in second-half stoppage time.
- 1’ — USA — Shaq Moore | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: In many ways, this was the real Gold Cup opener for both teams, who had little trouble in their first two group stage matches. Canada needed just a draw to top the group, the United States made the most of another goal in the opening 15 minutes to see out the win. Moore’s goal 20 seconds in was the high-water mark for a USMNT that struggled as the match went on. Canada asked more questions in the second half, but now likely have to go through Mexico to possibly reach their first Gold Cup final since winning it all in 2000.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: It’s all about Moore’s historic goal, which proved to be the group winner.
GOAL: Shaquell Moore hits the back of the net for USA
- MAN OF THE MATCH: James Sands has arrived. The young NYCFC defender followed up a strong performance in his first start against Martinique with a stellar outing against Canada. He completed 98 percent of his 42 passes and won 66 percent of his duels.
- USA: Sunday, July 25 vs. Runner-up Group C | 9:30 pm ET | FS1 | Concacaf Gold Cup Quarterfinals
- CAN: Sunday, July 25 vs. Winner Group C | 7 pm ET | FS1 | Concacaf Gold Cup Quarterfinals