Inter Miami CF snapped a seven-game winless streak and finally gave their fans a victory to celebrate, as Gonzalo Higuain scored from the spot and the run of play to clinch a 2-1 comeback win over CF Montréal on Saturday night.
HIGHLIGHTS: Inter Miami CF vs. CF Montréal | July 31, 2021
Joaquin Torres gave Montréal a lead in the first half but Higuain struck twice in the second stanza to give Miami a much-needed first win since May 16 and just their third victory of the season.
But early on it looked like there'd be a seventh defeat in eight games for Phil Neville's team. Nick Marsman gave up a rebound on a cross from Mathieu Choinière at the 20th minute, which Torres gladly took advantage of. The Argentine's shot from just above the six-yard box hit the back of the net and put Miami on their heels.
Miami were given a reprieve, though, with a penalty kick in the 49th minute. Federico Higuain was taken down inside the box and referee Victor Rivas called for a spot-kick. Gonzalo Higuain stepped up and dispatched the brotherly equalizer.
Miami completed the comeback when Rudy Camacho gave the ball away in his own box, gifting Gonzalo Higuain a clear chance to put his team ahead in the 69th minute. The former Juventus striker fired the ball from the edge of the box and James Pantemis looked to have made a spectacular save, only to see the ball fly up off his palms and bounce into the net.
Pantemis redeemed himself when he extended a leg to deny Robbie Robinson, who found himself through on goal. With their backs against the wall, Montréal had no more answers against Miami's comeback performance and conceded a disappointing defeat as DRV PNK Stadium's crowd cheered to the sound of the final whistle.
- THE BIG PICTURE: After six straight losses and one draw in their last seven games, Inter Miami CF finally grabbed all three points. Phil Neville and his squad can take a breather and start the month of August on the right foot. CF Montréal, though, will be fuming on the return home. There’s only so much to do about a controversial penalty, but a defensive error cost their side at least a draw in the Florida heat.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: A defensive giveaway from Rudy Camacho gave Gonzalo Higuain a clear chance on goal. After a great save, James Pantemis let the ball cross the line after losing track of the rebound.
GOAL: Gonzalo Higuaín, Inter Miami CF - 69th minute
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Gonzalo Higuain didn't disappoint on Saturday night. The Designated Player scored from the spot and took advantage of a giveaway that handed Miami a long-awaited victory.
- MIA: Wednesday, August 4 at Orlando City | 8 pm ET (MLS LIVE on ESPN+)
- MTL: Wednesday, August 4 vs. Atlanta United | 7:30 pm ET (TVA Sports, MLS LIVE on ESPN+)