EDITOR'S NOTE: As part of MLS Unites, a league-wide platform launched in partnership with the MLS Players Association that highlights the efforts of players, coaches, the clubs and the league during the COVID-19 pandemic, MLS will be featuring themed weeks across its platforms. This week's theme is Fitness and Wellness. Over the coming days, MLSsoccer.com will be showcasing content to provide inspiration for how to remain physically and mentally healthy while social distancing.
Like many of us, Major League Soccer players are stuck at home as we social distance and try to limit the spread of the novel coronavirus.
While there are significant downsides, including the absence of soccer, more time at home presents the opportunity to experiment in the kitchen and make the most use of items stocked away in the pantry. A number of MLS players have been just doing that, as you can see from the healthy eating section of our MLS Unites for Fitness and Wellness page.
Two players, in particular, have spent the past few weeks perfecting their baking skills. If you're looking for a creative and tasty treat this weekend, Chicago Fire FC midfielder Alvaro Medran and LAFC midfielder Mark-Anthony Kaye are here to help you out.
Alvaro Medran's Healthy Chocolate Cake
- 150 grams of crushed almonds
- 6 eggs
- 75 grams of 85 or 95 percent cocoa
- 200 grams of banana
- 30 grams (approx.) of chocolate-flavored oat flour
1. Mix ingredients together and pour into a greased baking dish.
2. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (approx. 180 degrees Celsius) for 35 minutes.
Mark-Anthony Kaye's Coffee Cake Banana Bread Bread
- 4 over-ripe bananas
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla
- ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 6 tbsp butter, cold (Mark's tip: Double the butter in crumb topping. It makes the consistency much better.)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (approx. 180 degrees Celsius), grease two 8x4 pans.
2. In a small bowl, mash bananas, brown sugar, vanilla and ground cinnamon.
3. In a large bowl, cream butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Add in eggs and beat until mixed.
5. To the wet ingredients, sift in flour, baking soda and salt.
6. Stir until just combined. Add in sour cream/yogurt and stir.
7. Pour in mashed banana mixture and mix until fully combined.
1. Combine cinnamon, flour and brown sugar. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter and mix until the topping looks like coarse crumbs. Sprinkle coating evenly over the batter in both pans.
2. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
3. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
4. Slice and enjoy!