FC Dallas started five Homegrown players 20 or younger, but it was a 33-year-old veteran who scored their opener. A Marco Fabian foul in the 9th minute allowed Swiss international Reto Ziegler to set up in a dangerous spot just outside the box, and he froze Union 'keeper Andre Blake on the successful free kick.
The Union had some first-half chances, courtesy of their own Homegrown standout Brenden Aaronson, as well as starting forwards Fafa Picault and David Accam. But it was the insertion of Burke in the second half that ultimately got the Union on the board.
Burke earned a penalty in the 83rd minute when Matt Hedges took him down on a wild sequence in front of goal. Though Fabian was rejected on his PK attempt by FC Dallas goalkeeper Jimmy Maurer, Burke jumped on the rebound and got the Union on the board. Then, in the second minute of stoppage time, Bedoya scrambled into the box and left-footed in the game winner.
- 10' – DAL – Reto Ziegler | WATCH
- 85' – PHI – Cory Burke | WATCH
- 90' + 2' – PHI – Alejandro Bedoya | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: Suddenly, the Union — who were just minutes from losing at home to a team that gave minutes to seven under-21 players — have put together three straight wins, and find themselves in a logjam with Toronto and D.C United just below Columbus on the East leaderboard. FC Dallas, who were down three key players due to a team policy violation and two more due to injury and illness, it's just the second loss of the season, coming to top East teams away.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Missing a PK and then scoring on the rebound is an emotional rollercoaster for both teams, and Burke connecting on Fabian's failed shot gave the Union hope for a result. Just minutes later, Bedoya would provide an improbable game winner. Both moments stand out in their own right.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: To the winner goes the spoils, and so Burke gets the nod here for drawing the penalty and salvaging the subsequent failed free kick, but Maurer should get recognition for making several key saves in facing 18 shots (compared to the three that FCD got off all match), snuffing out Fabian's PK, and keeping his team in the match into stoppage time. (He also caught a teammate's cleat in the head on a diving save during the second half, and had to be bandaged up just to finish the match.)
- PHI: Saturday, April 13 at LA Galaxy (10:30 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+, DAZN in Canada)
- DAL: Saturday, April 13 vs. Portland Timbers (8 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+, DAZN in Canada)