Bet you didn't know that the top scorer in the 2018 CONCACAF World Cup qualifying cycle is retired. Who might that be? Carlos 'El Pescadito' Ruiz, of course.
In a special CONCACAF edition of MLS story time, Andrew and David sat down with Ruiz for more than an hour, covering his career from start to finish as Guatemala's all-time leading scorer shared his incredible story. You also won't want to miss an outsider's perspective on why the US national team failed to qualify for Russia.
- The incredible sacrifice his mother and family made to make Ruiz's dream a reality (3:59)
- Why his legacy in Guatemala is complicated despite 68 int'l goals (19:09)
- From Ibiza to World Cup qualifying to FC Dallas in a matter of months (21:50)
- Scoring goals ... it's a mindset and lifestyle (29:40)
- Ruiz's first season in MLS ... MVP, Golden Boot, MLS Cup and a watch from Alexi Lalas (34:04)
- The trade to Dallas that opened the door for Landon Donovan to go to LA (37:08)
- Pescadito's best David Beckham story (44:00)
- An insider's view of CONCACAF (46:04)
- Why Ruiz and Guatemala saw USMNT failure coming (51:37)
- Did Jack Warner make sure T&T went to World Cup instead of Guatemala? (58:05)
- How to do what it takes to win, by any means necessary (59:15)
- The Ricardo Clark incident (1:04:24)