FC Dallas forward Jesús Ferreira contributed massively to improving the USMNT’s goal differential after last weekend’s 1-1 draw against Jamaica, tallying his second career international hat trick. The homegrown standout scored in the 14th, 16th and 50th minutes to get the best of goalkeeper Julani Archibald.
Former CF Montréal and Chicago Fire FC midfielder Djordje Mihailovic was another difference-maker for the USMNT, tallying in the 12th and 79th minutes to start the scoring and end it. Mihailovic, now playing for Eredivisie club AZ Alkmaar, also contributed two assists.
The highlight undoubtedly was Bryan Reynolds' golazo in the 14th minute, a smoothly-struck volley off Alex Zendejas' corner kick as the FC Dallas academy products linked up for a potential goal of the tournament contender. Gianluca Busio, a Sporting Kansas City homegrown product who's now playing in Italy for Venezia, chipped in two assists as well.
- THE BIG PICTURE: This one wasn't particularly close, with the USMNT attempting as many shots (34) as Saint Kitts and Nevis had possession of the ball. That's a job well done for head coach B.J. Callaghan's group, which is hoping to finish above Jamaica and (theoretically) earn a smoother path in the Gold Cup knockouts. Some individual performances could have been sharper, but this MLS-heavy group is heading in the right direction before Sunday's all-decisive match vs. Trinidad and Tobago.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: You can't hit them much sweeter than that, Bryan Reynolds.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Jesús Ferreira, the fastest player to reach double-digit goals in USMNT history, is keeping some pretty good company.
- SKN: Sunday, July 2 vs. Jamaica (7:00 pm ET) | Gold Cup, Group A
- USA: Sunday, July 2 vs. Trinidad and Tobago (7:00 pm ET) | Gold Cup, Group A