Atlanta United FC and Minnesota United FC will both take a major step ahead of their 2017 MLS expansion seasons on Sunday, when they’ll determine which team has priority across six different player acquisition methods at the league’s Expansion Priority Draft.
The draft will be held live on the MLS Matchday Live pregame show (2 pm ET; MLSsoccer.com, Facebook, YouTube, ESPN3, TSN2), with representatives from both clubs in attendance in New York for the event.
A coin flip will decide which club has first selection among the six different player acquisition mechanisms with the teams then alternating selections for each subsequent method.
The six player acquisition methods for which priority will be determined are below:
- 2016 MLS Expansion Draft (Picks No. 1 and No. 2)
- 2017 MLS SuperDraft (Picks No. 1 and No. 2)
- Allocation Ranking Order (No. 1 and No. 2 ranking)
- 2016 Waiver Draft and Re-Entry Draft Ranking (No. 21 and No. 22 ranking)
- Discovery Player Ranking (No. 21 and No. 22 ranking)
- USL/NASL Player Priority Ranking (No. 1 and No. 2 ranking)