Toronto FC started their three big-money stars together for the first time in some six weeks as D.C. United visited BMO Field on Saturday, and the trio of Jozy Altidore, Michael Bradley and Sebastian Giovinco duly made the difference in a methodical 2-0 victory.
Defending ruggedly for long stretches, United stifled the Reds for long stretches. But with the D.C. attack still misfiring, their resistance was eventually broken by TFC's quality.
Bradley led a quick transition on the game-winner, finding Giovinco out wide before the Italian star dropped a stellar pass onto Altidore's foot in Zone 14, capped by a firm finish from the US national team striker.
- BIG THREE, ET AL: TFC's depth has been widely discussed, but the aforementioned DP triumvirate underlined their value on Saturday. And adding the playmaking abilities of Victor Vazquez has left opponents with too many weapons to account for. Giovinco, for example, has only chipped in one goal in TFC's past seven MLS games amid injury issues, but when defenses cluster numbers around him, it opens up space for his mates to exploit.
- UNITED, UNLOADED: D.C. are 1-5-1 since the end of April, and an impotent attack is a major reason why. With Saturday's goose egg, the Black-and-Red have now gone 665 minutes without a goal from the run of play, with a controversial penalty kick at Vancouver on May 27 their only goal – and only win – in that stretch. D.C. have scored just 10 goals all year, worst in MLS.
- RUNNING THROUGH THE SIX: Many teams talk about making their home stadium a "fortress;" TFC are truly doing it. With Saturday's win, the Reds are riding a six-game winning streak at BMO Field, are 6-0-2 there thus far this season and have not lost a league match at home since this D.C. side beat them on Oct. 1 of last year. Toronto were 8-3-6 at their place last season and are well on course to better that mark in 2017.
- TOR: Wednesday, June 21 – Canadian Championship – at Montreal (7:30 pm ET | TSN, RDS in Canada)
- DC: Wednesday, June 21 – vs. Atlanta (7:30 pm ET | MLS LIVE)