HANOVER, N.J. – Though they prided themselves on maintaining continuity from last season’s Supporters' Shield-winning campaign, the New York Red Bulls might be lining up for an active summer transfer window.


A big name may be on the way for the Red Bulls. Head coach Jesse Marsch said on Tuesday that the organization was looking to add an attacking player to complement Bradley Wright-Phillips, who has been streaky this year, and bolster the midfield.


“We’re looking at a little bit in some of the attacking positions, and maybe to help Brad in certain moments instead of having him bear the load of all the attacking responsibility at that striker position,” Marsch said. “We’re trying to get [reserve striker Anatole] Abang going too, but looking to bolster that.


“We’re looking in the league; there’s been discussions. We’re always trying to figure out ways to add to our group. That being said, we like our group. We like our team. [We have] the ability to potentially add to it, but right now my job is to focus on getting the most out of this group.”


Marsch didn’t rule out the possibility of the Red Bulls pursuing a Designated Player. Currently the squad’s two DPs are the aforementioned Wright-Phillips and Gonzalo Veron, who was signed in midseason last year but has scored just 2 goals and 1 assist in 22 regular-season games and 4 playoff matches (6 total starts) amid nagging injury problems.


“That’s always a possibility. We have some different resources, so we’re trying to act responsibly in this transfer window and have an open mind to a potential big addition,” Marsch said.


“But do it in a way that we don’t put our future at risk. That being said, we know this year is a great year for this group to really go after it. So if we can find the right piece to come in and really add to this, to give us that extra boost, to get us through the end of the year and make us one of the best teams at the end of the year, that’s what we’re really looking for.”