Brent Kallman and Ramon Abila struck for consecutive goals for the Loons to give the hosts the lead after Cowell's early opener, but Minnesota couldn't manage to see out the three-point result as Kikanovic stunned a raucous home crowd at Allianz with the late leveler.
The Quakes jumped on top just 15 minutes into the contest when Cristian Espinoza won the ball off of Minnesota's Bakaye Dibassy on the right flank and made a charging run into the box. The Argentine then alertly found Cowell with a cross as Minnesota goalkeeper Tyler Miller charged off his line, setting the 17-year-old homegrown up with the finish into an open net.
San Jose managed to withstand a flurry of pressure from the hosts in the aftermath of the opener, but finally broke right on the stroke of halftime as Minnesota equalized through Kallman. The center back muscled a shot into the net from a difficult angle after an Emanuel Reynoso corner kick was deflected to new signee Franco Fragapane, who made an athletic move to provide the assist with an overhead kick.
With a pair of substitutions made by coach Adrian Heath at halftime, the Loons came out firing to start the second half, nearly taking the lead on with another flurry of chances just after the restart. The first came off a laser shot that was roped on target by Abila, but saved by San Jose goalkeeper JT Marcincowksi. Fragapane then narrowly missed just after that with a close-range shot that he put off the post.
Minnesota would find their go-ahead tally, however, after Chase Gasper won a penalty kick in the 67th minute. The defender was awarded the spot-kick by referee Michael Radchuk on Video Review after it was ruled that Judson fouled him in the San Jose area. That set up Abila with a look from the spot, which was initially stuffed by Marcincowksi but cashed home by the Argentine forward on the rebound.
That lead would stand until the 82nd minute, when Kikanovic struck for a clutch equalizer with his first MLS goal. The 21-year-old took a feed from Shea Salinas and beat Miller with a scorching finish from inside the area, sealing the 2-2 scoreline that would hold as the final, as Minnesota's Hassani Dotson would see a last-gasp opportunity cleared off the line by Paul Marie.
- THE BIG PICTURE: The Quakes had dropped six of seven coming into this matchup, so a hard-fought road point against a Minnesota United team that had been showcasing improved form of late can be considered something to build on as Matias Almeyda's group look to get their season on track. On the flip side, it's two home points dropped for the Loons, who will be frustrated that they couldn't make more of the plethora of chances they logged, especially in the second half.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: It's the late equalizer from Kikanovic, who couldn't have picked a much better spot to open his MLS account.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Cade Cowell continued his ascent as one of the best young players in the league with another goal, giving the teenage standout an impressive four goals and three assists through 12 games on the season.
- MIN: Wednesday, July 7 at Colorado Rapids | 9 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+
- SJ: Saturday, July 17 at Colorado Rapids | 9 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+