The Philadelphia Union rescued a point against Inter Miami CF through a late goal by Kacper Przybylko as the teams played to a 1-1 draw at DRV PNK Stadium on Sunday evening.
HIGHLIGHTS: Inter Miami CF vs. Philadelphia Union | July 25, 2021
Przybylko's team-leading sixth goal of the season canceled out Robbie Robinson's second of the year with less than 20 minutes remaining, running Miami's winless streak to seven matches.
Philadelphia looked to put an early goal on the board as Daniel Gazdag forced Nick Marsman into a third-minute save. Then, just before the quarter-hour mark, the Union nearly made it 1-0 through Przybylko as Alejandro Bedoya played a nice ball to the Philadelphia striker, but his shot was fired wide of the net.
Miami saw several opportunities of their own moments after Przybylko's miss. Federico Higuain nearly combined with younger brother Gonzalo for Miami's opener, but the chance came to nothing. Then, right before the half-hour mark, Lewis Morgan's chip to the far post was kept out by the head of Jakob Glesnes. The hosts would have one final chance just before first-half stoppage time as Gonzalo Higuain looked to cross it to Kieran Gibbs at the far post, but instead found the feet of Robinson, who was unable to get a proper touch on the ball.
Some controversy arrived in the 55th minute as Morgan appeared to be tripped in the box by a Philadelphia defender. However, a brief check via Video Review found that no foul was committed as penalty shouts from Miami came to nothing.
But Miami finally found the breakthrough in the 71st minute, as Robinson's near-post attempt from a terrific touch by Gonzalo Higuain deflected off the hand of Matt Freese and into the net to make it 1-0. That duo nearly combined for a second goal less than two minutes later, though Robinson missed a brace by inches.
The mood in Fort Lauderdale was soured by a late Philadelphia goal, when a cross in front of the net was deflected by Marsman and touched in by Przybylko in the 85th minute. Despite appeals for offside, the goal stood after being reviewed.
- THE BIG PICTURE: It was a much-improved effort for Phil Neville’s side, with the Herons going toe-to-toe with last year's Supporters’ Shield holders before letting a late lead slip away in the closing minutes. It’s their first point since a 3-2 away win at FC Cincinnati on May 16. Philadelphia came away with another draw — their fourth in six matches away from Subaru Park — but they'll head home wishing that they could have given a better account of themselves against a struggling Miami side.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Leave it to Kacper Przybylko to steal an away point for the Union. It wasn’t exactly one for the highlight reel, but Philadelphia’s striker saw it sneak it past the line with just over five minutes remaining in regular time.
GOAL: Kacper Przybylko, Philadelphia Union - 85th minute
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Robinson picked up the goal for Miami, but it was a strong performance for Gonzalo Higuain. Along with his assist on the night, he was credited with three shots on target and a match-high four key passes.
- MIA: Saturday, July 31 vs. CF Montréal | 8:00 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+, UniMás, TVA Sports, TSN
- PHI: Sunday, August 1 vs. Chicago Fire FC | 6:00 pm ET | TUDN, UniMás, Twitter (English audio)