That will likely bother him, at least a little, but it is on another list that his inclusion is a much more pressing, if unknown, matter.
Both Giovinco and NYCFC's Andrea Pirlo, who travelled to Toronto but did not play on Wednesday, were left off a training camp squad announced by Italian national team head coach Antonio Conte last week, prompting some to question whether the reigning MLS MVP and Golden Boot holder would be in Conte's plans for the European Championship, to be held in France next month.
Participating countries are expected to submit their finalized rosters ahead of the May 31 deadline.
“I don't really know. I haven't heard very much,” said Giovinco through his translator after Wednesday's match when asked if he had spoken to Conte and whether he would get called up for the tournament. “We'll wait until the end of the week to find out whether it happens or not.”
On Tuesday after training, TFC head coach Greg Vanney too was left in the dark about his star striker's itinerary.
“I have no indication of which direction this is going to go,” said Vanney. “My understanding is that they have a camp, that they've called in a group. Seba is staying with us to the end of the week, at a minimum.”
“And [when] they announce the next portion... I don't think I'll get advance notice – other than maybe an hour or two before it gets announced,” he surmised.
“[Sebastian] is in great form, he's played very well, and he's a guy who can make a difference,” continued Vanney. “The goal he scored [on Saturday against Vancouver] – taking a long ball down with the outside of his foot, spinning off of the defender, and finishing – is a world class goal at any level.
“If he stays, then he helps us a great deal. If he goes, then it's a great thing for him and for things he wants to accomplish. We wait and see.”