Armchair Analyst's Breakdown
- Strength: Three top-tier attacking DPs and a whole slew of talent around and behind them.
- Weakness: A propensity toward wide-open, attacking soccer means they rarely control central midfield, and that has often proved fatal against the best teams.
- Tajon Buchanan: A deal agreed in the summer for the winter, Canadian international Tajon Buchanan officially signed for Club Brugge on Jan. 1. The Revs’ SuperDraft pick absolutely exploded last season and is already settling into the Belgian top-flight quite nicely.
- Upcoming: Buchanan is the only major departure so far, though Matt Turner will officially leave in a transfer to Arsenal in the summer. The expectation remains that Adam Buksa will be gone then too. More change is coming for the reigning Supporters’ Shield winners. For now? They're chasing Concacaf Champions League glory.
- Sebastian Lletget: USMNT midfielder Sebastian Lletget swapped coasts this winter, going from the LA Galaxy to New England in a big trade. Lletget made 158 appearances with the Galaxy, though bounced around positions the last couple of years due to his versatility, perhaps a blessing and a curse. He says Bruce Arena will stick him in one spot, mostly attacking midfield.
- Jozy Altidore: One of the most decorated players in USMNT history, Jozy Altidore changed clubs after seven memorable seasons with Toronto FC. TFC used a contract buyout on him to clear room for Lorenzo Insigne, leaving him as Toronto’s second all-time leading scorer. He has long struggled with injuries, but should have time to reach form and fitness at the beginning of the year with Gustavo Bou and Buksa in the squad. Buksa is expected to depart in the summer, meaning Jozy could soon have a big burden to shoulder.
- Omar Gonzalez: The third key arrival, the third former Arena player. Omar Gonzalez signed as a free agent from Toronto, where he made 64 appearances after returning to MLS. He worked under Arena with the USMNT and at the beginning of his career with the Galaxy, but his best days are behind him. Will he be a regular with New England or a rotational piece?
- Full roster
Projected Starting XI
- Charles Boehm: 2nd in East
- Tom Bogert: 4th in East
- Matt Doyle: 4th in East
- David Gass: 3rd in East
- Sam Jones: 2nd in East
- Joe Lowery: 2nd in East
- Greg Seltzer: 1st in East
- Andrew Wiebe: 3rd in East