MLS MEDIA RESOURCES: WEEK 30 NEWS & NOTES
MLS COACHES’ 100-WIN CLUB, ALL-TIME LEADERSHIP SOON COULD BE CHANGING
The list of the all-time winningest coaches in MLS history will likely see some real activity in the coming weeks, with both the most victories ever in the league and membership in the 100-win club coming into view.
Heading into this weekend’s match vs. Chicago Fire FC, Bruce Arena is just two wins away from tying Sigi Schmid for 240 league victories – the most of any coach in MLS history. Over his MLS coaching career spanning 483 games, Arena has posted a .607 winning percentage, the second-best of any coach with more than 100 coaching appearances in league annals (behind current Seattle Sounders FC boss Brian Schmetzer, .647). Arena also has the most MLS Cup Playoffs victories ever, with 35.
Three coaches are within touching distance of reaching the 100-win mark for MLS league play – Caleb Porter of the Columbus Crew (99), Greg Vanney of the LA Galaxy (98), and Jim Curtin of the Philadelphia Union (96). Through the first 26 years of MLS history, just 10 coaches have reached the century mark in league wins.
SOUNDERS FC GOALKEEPER STEFAN FREI ON COURSE FOR RECORD CAMPAIGN
As Seattle Sounders have qualified for the MLS Cup Playoffs for a record 13th consecutive season, goalkeeper Stefan Frei has quietly put together one of the most outstanding seasons statistically in MLS history.
Through 11 starts this season, Frei has conceded just six goals. Having played 989 minutes this campaign, that is the fewest goals ever allowed by a goalkeeper having played that many minutes in a season. No goalkeeper who has played more than 1,000 minutes in a season – the threshold for ranking as the top goalkeeper statistically in a season – has ever allowed fewer than 10 goals.
Frei’s goals against average (defined as goals allowed per 90 minutes played), with six games still remaining in 2021 regular season for the Sounders, currently sits at 0.55. The all-time MLS single-season record is currently held by Kevin Hartman, who had a goals against average of 0.62 in 2010 with FC Dallas (record with a minimum of 1,000 minutes played).
SOUNDERS FC ADD TO REMARKABLE RECORD WITH ANOTHER PLAYOFF BERTH
Seattle Sounders FC extended their club record last weekend, when their 4-1 win against Vancouver Whitecaps FC at Lumen Field on Saturday evening secured a berth in the MLS Cup Playoffs for a 13th consecutive season. The 13 consecutive seasons are the most of any team in MLS history – with Sounders FC having reached the postseason in every year of the club’s existence in Major League Soccer.
Sounders FC can still be joined by the New York Red Bulls, who reached the MLS Cup Playoffs for an 11th consecutive campaign last year, now all alone with the second-longest streak in league history.
Sounders FC have the second-longest active postseason streak among all professional leagues in the USA and Canada. Leading the way is the NHL’s Pittsburgh Penguins, who reached the postseason for a 15th consecutive campaign in the 2020-21 season. Both the NBA’s San Antonio Spurs (22 seasons) and New England Patriots (11 seasons) had long streaks which were snapped in 2020.
RAPIDS MAKE SOME HISTORY IN SHORTHANDED COMEBACK FOR WIN
The Colorado Rapids achieved some history when they came back from a goal down while also shorthanded in their 3-1 win against Minnesota United FC at Allianz Field last Sunday afternoon.
According to the Elias Sports Bureau, just one time has a team scored more than three goals while also playing shorthanded – the Chicago Fire, who scored four goals while two players down in a 5-0 win against Colorado on Aug. 8, 1999. The Rapids became the third team to score at least three goals while also at least a man down, joining D.C. United, who scored three in a 3-3 draw with Toronto FC in 2011.
But the Rapids were the first team ever to score that many goals while shorthanded and also overcome a deficit. The Fire never trailed in their match when two men down in 1999; when D.C. United ended in the draw with Toronto FC, the expulsion came with the game scoreless.
MLS WEEK 30 – LOOK AHEAD
CF MONTRÉAL vs. PHILADELPHIA UNION
Saturday, Oct. 16, 2021 (Week 30, MLS Game #380)
Stade Saputo, Montréal, Qué.
1 p.m. ET (TVA Sports; TSN; PHL17)
REFEREE: Pierre-Luc Lauziere. AR1 (bench): Oscar Mitchell-Carvalho; AR2 (opposite): Matthew Nelson; 4th: Jon Freemon; VAR: Geoff Gamble; AVAR: Robert Schaap
MLS Career: 5 games; FC/gm: 22.6; Y/gm: 4.0; R: 2; pens: 1
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: CFMTL 9 wins, 41 goals … Union 7 wins, 32 goals … Ties 7
AT MONTRÉAL: CFMTL 7 wins, 21 goals … Union 3 wins, 14 goals … Ties 1
· CF Montréal put an end to a two-game losing slide, getting a pair of goals from Romell Quioto in defeating Atlanta United 2-1 at Stade Saputo on Oct. 2. It was the first multiple-goal game of Quioto’s five MLS seasons; he has equaled his league single-season high with eight goals this year, with seven coming in the last eight games.
· The Union extended their undefeated streak to five games with a fourth victory in that time, defeating FC Cincinnati 2-1 at TQL Stadium on Saturday evening. Kacper Przybylko scored his 10th goal of the season, his fourth goal in the last five games, and Paxten Aaronson added his second goal of the season for the game-winner.
· The teams are meeting for the second time this season. Djordje Mihailovic put CFMTL in the lead before halftime, but Quinn Sullivan netted the equalizer late, leaving the teams in a 1-1 draw Aug. 21 at Subaru Park.
· Montréal won the last meeting at Stade Saputo, a 4-0 win July 27, 2019; the last CFMTL home match was last Sept. 20 at Red Bull Arena, a 4-1 Union win. The Union have two wins and a draw from the last three meetings in Chester.
CFMTL: Djordje Mihailovic recorded his 13th assist of the season, still in second place in the MLS assist standings, a second consecutive game with an assist, his fifth assist over the last five games. … Joaquin Torres collected his fifth assist of the season, his last coming Aug. 21.
UNION: Nathan Harriel collected the first assist of his MLS career, making his third career league appearance (his second as a starter). … Jack Elliott collected his second assist of the season; he has a goal (his first of the season) and an assist in the last two games.
LOS ANGELES FOOTBALL CLUB vs. SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES
Saturday, Oct. 16, 2021 (Week 30, MLS Game #381)
Banc of California Stadium, Los Angeles, Calif.
12:30 p.m. PT (Univision / TUDN)
REFEREE: Alan Kelly. AR1 (bench): Jeremy Kieso; AR2 (opposite): Apolinar Mariscal; 4th: Baldomero Toledo; VAR: Younes Marrakchi; AVAR: Fabio Tovar
MLS Career: 149 games; FC/gm: 24.2; Y/gm: 3.4; R: 19; pens: 54
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: LAFC 5 wins, 24 goals … Earthquakes 4 wins, 13 goals … Ties 0
AT BANC OF CALIFORNIA STADIUM: LAFC 3 wins, 12 goals … Earthquakes 1 win, 3 goals … Ties 0
· LAFC put an end to a three-game losing skid on Oct. 3, reaching a 1-1 draw with the LA Galaxy in the second El Tráfico of the season, both of which have been draws. Mamadou Fall scored the LAFC goal, the third of his MLS career, all coming in the last seven games.
· The Quakes fell to a second defeat on the trot, dropping a 3-0 decision to Vancouver Whitecaps FC at BC Place on Oct. 2.
· The teams are meeting for the third time this season, and the Quakes have won both. Goals from Nathan and Eduardo López in the first 28 minutes led to a 2-1 win Aug. 8 at PayPal Park, then Benji Kikanovic and López scored early in each half as the Quakes claimed the 2-0 result Sept. 25 in San Jose.
· The Quakes have won the last four meetings in the series, after LAFC had won the first five meetings between the clubs. The Quakes won the last meeting at Banc of California Stadium, a 2-1 win last Sept. 27.
· LAFC scored four goals or more in three consecutive matches with the Quakes, through the first meeting last year, the second team in MLS history to achieve that (also, LA Galaxy vs. Philadelphia Union, 2013-15). LAFC cruised to a 5-0 win on March 30, 2019 in San Jose behind a Carlos Vela hat trick; Vela then netted two more goals as LAFC won 4-0 on Aug. 21, 2019 at Banc of California Stadium.
LAFC: Eduard Atuesta recorded his eighth assist of the season, his fourth assist over his last four games (along with one goal), dating back to Sept. 3.
QUAKES: The Quakes saw their club-record eight-game road undefeated streak put to an end, equaling the seventh-longest in MLS history, the club’s first loss away since June 22.
COLUMBUS CREW vs. INTER MIAMI CF
Saturday, Oct. 16, 2021 (Week 30, MLS Game #382)
Lower.com Field, Columbus, Ohio
6 p.m. ET (Bally Sports GL; MyTV33 / UniMás 69)
REFEREE: Rubiel Vazquez. AR1 (bench): Claudiu Badea; AR2 (opposite): Kyle Atkins; 4th: Guido Gonzales Jr.; VAR: Kevin Terry Jr.; AVAR: Jeff Muschik
MLS Career: 55 games; FC/gm: 22.1; Y/gm: 3.3; R: 11; pens: 12
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: Crew 0 wins, 0 goals … Inter Miami 1 win, 1 goal … Ties 0
AT COLUMBUS: First meeting.
· The Crew had their three-game undefeated run put to an end, falling 3-0 the Philadelphia Union at Subaru Park on Oct. 3.
· Inter Miami CF had their losing skid extended, falling by the game’s only goal to the New York Red Bulls at Red Bull Arena on Saturday evening.
· The teams are meeting for the second time this season and in their histories. Gonzalo Higuaín netted the game’s only goal as Inter Miami CF took the victory in the first meeting, Sept. 11 at DRV PNK Stadium.
CREW: Steven Moreira made his MLS and Crew debut, starting in the midfield and playing 66 minutes. … Evan Bush made a second consecutive start between the posts, his first back-to-back starts this season, his fourth of the season in league play.
IMCF: Aimé Mabika, the club’s first-round selection in the 2021 SuperDraft out of Univ. of Kentucky (No. 26 overall), made his MLS and Inter Miami debut, playing the entire 90 minutes in central defense. Mabika was an extreme hardship roster addition from USL side Fort Lauderdale FC.
NEW ENGLAND REVOLUTION vs. CHICAGO FIRE FC
Saturday, Oct. 16, 2021 (Week 30, MLS Game #383)
Gillette Stadium, Foxborough, Mass.
7 p.m. ET (WSBK TV38 / MyRITV; WGN-TV)
REFEREE: Joseph Dickerson. AR1 (bench): Cory Richardson; AR2 (opposite): Gianni Facchini; 4th: Robert Sibiga; VAR: Jose Carlos Rivero; AVAR: Thomas Supple
MLS Career: 62 games; FC/gm: 27.3; Y/gm: 4.1; R: 12; pens: 16
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: Revolution 24 wins, 90 goals … Fire 27 wins, 97 goals … Ties 15
AT NEW ENGLAND: Revolution 17 wins, 47 goals … Fire 10 wins, 32 goals … Ties 5
· The Revolution return to action after a couple of weekends off, extending their undefeated stretch to six games with a third consecutive win last time out, a 4-1 win against CF Montréal at Stade Saputo on Sept. 29. Adam Buksa and Gustavo Bou each netted their 13th goals of the season.
· The Fire saw a two-game undefeated run come to an end, falling 3-1 to Toronto FC at BMO Field on Oct. 3. Robert Beric scored his fifth goal of the season, his second in as many games.
· The teams are meeting for the third time this season. In the last matchup, Carles Gil scored a dramatic stoppage-time game-winner, sealing a playoff berth for the Revolution in the process, in a 3-2 victory Sept. 22 at Soldier Field. On April 17 in Chicago, Robert Beric and Luka Stojanovic gave the Fire a two-goal lead after 11 minutes, but Adam Buksa and Gustavo Bou struck back before the half-hour was out, leaving the teams in a 2-2 draw.
· The Revolution have three wins, with two draws, in the last five meetings, including a 1-1 result March 7, 2020 in the last game in Foxborough. The Revolution have two wins in the last three visits to face the Fire, which ended a nine-game home undefeated streak for the Fire in the series. The Fire had a seven-game undefeated streak overall in the series (5-0-2) ended in the Revolution’s win in 2019 to start their current streak.
REVOLUTION: Gustavo Bou collected his seventh assist of the season, a third consecutive game with an assist, the fourth time in his MLS career he’s had a goal and assist in the same game, the second this season (also: May 22 vs. NYCFC). … Brandon Bye recorded his third assist of the season, a single-season career-high in his fourth MLS season. … Wilfrid Kaptoum gained his second assist of the year and his MLS career, his first coming on July 17.
FIRE: Fabian Herbers collected his fourth assist of the season, his last coming Aug. 18.
D.C. UNITED vs. NASHVILLE SC
Saturday, Oct. 16, 2021 (Week 30, MLS Game #384)
Audi Field, Washington, D.C.
7:30 p.m. ET (NBCS-Wash / TeleXitos; MyTV30)
REFEREE: Ismail Elfath. AR1 (bench): Jose da Silva; AR2 (opposite): Gjovalin Bori; 4th: Matthew Thompson; VAR: Ismir Pekmic; AVAR: Kathryn Nesbitt
MLS Career: 174 games; FC/gm: 25.8; Y/gm: 3.4; R: 48; pens: 54
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: D.C. United 0 wins, 2 goals … Nashville SC 2 wins, 6 goals … Ties 0
AT AUDI FIELD: First meeting.
· United had their two-game winning run put to an end, falling 2-1 to Orlando City SC at Exploria Stadium on Oct. 2. Julian Gressel scored his second goal of the season; he has a goal and three assists over the last five matches.
· Nashville SC extended their undefeated run to four games with a third consecutive draw, reaching a goalless result with New York City FC at Nissan Stadium. Joe Willis was credited with three saves in recording his league-leading 12th shutout of the season.
· The teams are meeting for the second time this season. CJ Sapong and Alex Muyl each had a pair of goals and Hany Mukhtar scored a goal and added an assist as Nashville SC rolled to a 5-2 win Aug. 15 at Nissan Stadium.
· The teams met once in Nashville SC’s inaugural season. Daniel Rios scored the game’s only goal midway through the second half as Nashville SC took the win Sept. 23 at Nissan Stadium.
UNITED: Paul Arriola recorded his third assist of the year, his last coming Aug. 15. … Russell Canouse collected his second assist of the season; he had two assists over his first four seasons in the league.
NASHVILLE SC: David Romney extended his league ever-present streak to 51 games with Nashville SC, having played every minute of every game (4,590) in the club’s MLS history (he also played every minute in the club’s three matches in the MLS Cup Playoffs last year). Romney’s streak of 56 consecutive appearances in league play is the longest active streak in MLS.
TORONTO FC vs. ATLANTA UNITED
Saturday, Oct. 16, 2021 (Week 30, MLS Game #385)
BMO Field, Toronto, Ont.
7:30 p.m. ET (TSN; Bally Sports South/SE)
REFEREE: Timothy Ford. AR1 (bench): Logan Brown; AR2 (opposite): Brian Dunn; 4th: Fabrizio Stasolla; VAR: Drew Fischer; AVAR: Chantal Boudreau
MLS Career: 36 games; FC/gm: 20.9; Y/gm: 3.3; R: 8; pens: 7
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: Toronto FC 3 wins, 14 goals … ATLUTD 2 wins, 12 goals … Ties 3
AT TORONTO: Toronto FC 3 wins, 10 goals … ATLUTD 0 wins, 5 goals … Ties 1
· TFC won a second consecutive match and extended their undefeated run to four games, defeating Chicago Fire FC 3-1 at BMO Field on Oct. 3. Mark Delgado scored for a second consecutive game, his third of the year, while Yeferson Soteldo scored his third goal and added his 10th assist of the season.
· ATLUTD weren’t able to make it a ninth win from 11 starts, falling 2-1 to CF Montréal at Stade Saputo on Oct. 2. Jake Mulraney scored his first goal of the season for the Atlanta tally.
· The teams are meeting for the second time this season. Ezequiel Barco netted the game’s only goal in the 20th minute to give ATLUTD the win Aug. 18 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.
· Each team is undefeated at home in the all-time series on their home ground. ATLUTD has won the last two meetings in Atlanta, their only wins in eight meetings between the clubs. TFC has won the last two meetings at BMO Field.
· The teams also met in the 2019 Eastern Conference Final at Mercedes-Benz Stadium. Nick DeLeon hit for the 78th-minute game-winner as Toronto FC took a 2-1 win to gain a place in 2019 MLS Cup.
TFC: Jacob Shaffelburg collected his third assist of the season, all coming over the last two games (when he also has a goal). … Jonathan Osorio gained with his first assist in MLS this season. … Michael Bradley was credited with his fifth assist of the season, his last coming July 3.
ATLUTD: Luiz Araujo recorded his second assist in MLS; he has a goal and two assists in the league, all over the last five games.
FC CINCINNATI vs. ORLANDO CITY SC
Saturday, Oct. 16, 2021 (Week 30, MLS Game #386)
TQL Stadium, Cincinnati, Ohio
7:30 p.m. ET (WSTR – Star 64; FOX35 Plus / LionNation TV)
REFEREE: Marcos de Oliveira. AR1 (bench): Andrew Bigelow; AR2 (opposite): Jason White; 4th: Thomas Snyder; VAR: Fotis Bazakos; AVAR: Jeffrey Swartzel
MLS Career: 57 games; FC/gm: 25.5; Y/gm: 3.5; R: 5; pens: 16
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: FCC 0 wins, 3 goals … OCSC 2 wins, 10 goals … Ties 2
AT CINCINNATI: FCC 0 wins, 2 goals … OCSC 0 wins, 2 goals … Ties 2
· FC Cincinnati fell 2-1 to the Philadelphia Union at TQL Stadium on Saturday evening, their goal coming from Haris Medunjanin, his third of the season. With the defeat, FCC was officially eliminated from playoff contention.
· Orlando City put an end to a five-game winless skein in dramatic fashion, getting a stoppage-time game-winner from Daryl Dike for a 2-1 win vs. D.C. United at Exploria Stadium on Oct. 2. The goal was the sixth of the season for Dike, a third consecutive game with a goal.
· The teams are meeting for the third time this season. Tesho Akindele scored after just 31 seconds and Nani doubled the lead in the 19th minute, sending Orlando City on their way to a 3-0 win at Exploria Stadium on May 1. On Aug. 7, Brenner and Nani each scored on either side of halftime, leaving the teams in a 1-1 draw at TQL Stadium.
· They had last met in FC Cincinnati’s inaugural season in 2019. Nani and Tesho Akindele each scored two goals as Orlando City SC cruised to a 5-1 win on May 19 at Exploria Stadium, the first meeting ever between the clubs; the teams reached a 1-1 draw Sept. 29 at Nippert Stadium.
FCC: FCC interim head coach Tyrone Marshall made two changes in the first half, the first time that was done in the club’s MLS history.
OCSC: Robin Jansson scored his second goal of the season, both coming in the last five games. … Chris Mueller gained his fifth assist this season, his last on June 22.
HOUSTON DYNAMO FC vs. SEATTLE SOUNDERS FC
Saturday, Oct. 16, 2021 (Week 30, MLS Game #387)
PNC Stadium, Houston, Texas
7:30 p.m. CT (QuestTexas 55; FOX13+ / Amazon Prime)
REFEREE: Nima Saghafi. AR1 (bench): Brian Poeschel; AR2 (opposite): Corey Rockwell; 4th: Rosendo Mendoza; VAR: Edvin Jurisevic; AVAR: Mike Kampmeinert
MLS Career: 81 games; FC/gm: 26.4; Y/gm: 3.8; R: 9; pens: 25
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: Dynamo FC 4 wins, 19 goals … Sounders FC 11 wins, 30 goals … Ties 6
AT HOUSTON: Dynamo FC 4 wins, 16 goals … Sounders FC 2 wins, 12 goals … Ties 4
· Houston Dynamo FC return to action following a 4-2 loss to Sporting Kansas City in their last outing, Oct. 3 at Children’s Mercy Park. Fafa Picault scored his 11th goal of the season, and set up Darwin Quintero’s second of the year.
· Sounders FC qualified for the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs for a record 13th consecutive season (every season they have been in Major League Soccer), following a 4-1 win against Vancouver Whitecaps FC at Lumen Field. Four different players scored goals for Sounders FC, while Kelyn Rowe had three assists and Fredy Montero had two – single-game career records in MLS for both.
· The teams are meeting for the second time this season. Kelyn Rowe and Raúl Ruidíaz netted second-half goals as Sounders FC took a 2-0 win July 7 at Lumen Field.
· Sounders FC have won the last two meetings between the teams at BBVA Stadium, their first ever in Houston in league play, including a 1-0 victory in the last matchup there, July 27, 2019. In the first eight meetings there, the Dynamo won four, with four draws.
· Sounders FC have never lost to the Dynamo in Seattle. In 11 league meetings all-time, Seattle has won nine, with two draws, outscoring Houston 18-3. Sounders FC also won a Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup match at home vs. Houston; the teams played to a scoreless draw in Seattle in the 2009 MLS Cup Playoffs.
DYNAMO FC: Griffin Dorsey collected his second MLS assist, both coming in the last four games. … Maynor Figueroa gained his second assist this season, his first coming June 23.
SOUNDERS FC: Shane O’Neill scored his first league goal in MLS since May 24, 2014, when he was with the Colorado Rapids (he scored during the MLS Cup Playoffs last season). … Léo Chu scored his first MLS goal, making his third appearance in the league. … João Paulo collected his 10th assist of the season, a second consecutive game with an assist, now in a tie for fifth place in the MLS assist standings. … Will Bruin scored his third goal of the season, his second in the last four games, and also added his fourth assist, a second consecutive game with an assist.
AUSTIN FC vs. MINNESOTA UNITED FC
Saturday, Oct. 16, 2021 (Week 30, MLS Game #388)
Q2 Stadium, Austin, Texas
8 p.m. CT (KNVA [CW Austin] / UniMas Austin; Bally Sports North+ / CW)
REFEREE: Michael Radchuk. AR1 (bench): Jeremy Hanson; AR2 (opposite): Chris Elliott; 4th: Chris Penso; VAR: Daniel Radford; AVAR: Ian McKay
MLS Career: 3 games; FC/gm: 22.3; Y/gm: 3.7; R: 1; pens: 1
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: ATXCC 1 win, 1 goal … MNUFC 1 win, 2 goals … Ties 0
AT AUSTIN: First meeting.
· Austin FC won for a second time in three games, defeating Real Salt Lake 2-1 at Q2 Stadium on Oct. 2. Cecilio Dominguez netted both ATXFC goals, his second two-goal game this season (the first coming April 24), now with seven goals on the year.
· MNUFC had their two-game home winning streak put to an end, falling 3-1 to the Colorado Rapids at Allianz Field on Saturday evening. Adrien Hunou netted the Minnesota United goal, his fifth since coming to MLS.
· The teams are meeting for the third time this season, the first meetings ever in the clubs’ histories, splitting the first two matchups both at Allianz Field. Diego Fagundez scored the only goal in the 17th minute, giving Austin FC the victory May 1, then Franco Fragapane and Adrien Hunou scored in the opening 18 minutes to give MNUFC a 2-0 win June 23.
ATXFC: Sebastian Driussi collected his fifth assist of the season and his MLS career, his second in the last four games. … Diego Fagundez recorded his third assist of the season, his last coming Aug. 21.
MNUFC: Franco Fragapane recorded his eighth assist in his first MLS season, his fifth over the last five games (when MNUFC has scored seven goals). … Emanuel Reynoso collected his eighth assist of the season, a second in the last four games.
REAL SALT LAKE vs. COLORADO RAPIDS
Saturday, Oct. 16, 2021 (Week 30, MLS Game #389)
Rio Tinto Stadium, Sandy, Utah
7:30 p.m. MT (KMYU-12; Altitude)
REFEREE: Kevin Stott. AR1 (bench): Jeffrey Greeson; AR2 (opposite): Adam Garner; 4th: Mark Allatin; VAR: Malik Badawi; AVAR: TJ Zablocki
MLS Career: 374 games; FC/gm: 24.4; Y/gm: 3.1; R: 86; pens: 98
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: Real 24 wins, 75 goals … Rapids 15 wins, 50 goals … Ties 11
AT SALT LAKE: Real 15 wins, 41 goals … Rapids 4 wins, 20 goals … Ties 6
· Real weren’t able to again make it back-to-back wins, falling 2-1 to Austin FC at Q2 Stadium on Oct. 2. Damir Kreilach scored his 13th goal of the season, a fourth consecutive game with a goal, the 13 goals a single-season career-high in his fourth MLS campaign.
· The Rapids rebounded from a first loss in 13 games in dramatic fashion, going a goal and a man down – then coming back for a 3-1 win against Minnesota United FC at Allianz Field on Saturday evening. Michael Barrios scored his eighth goal of the season, then set the first MLS goal from Lucas Esteves.
· The teams are meeting for the third time this season, each winning on their home ground. Real took a 3-0 win July 24 at Rio Tinto Stadium, then the Rapids replied with a 2-1 win Aug. 21 at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park. The Colorado victory ended a three-game Real winning streak in Commerce City.
· In the final meeting a season ago, Sept. 12 at Rio Tinto Stadium, the Rapids took a 5-0 victory, the largest margin of victory in the club’s 25 seasons and their first win in the series since 2017. That win also ended a 17-game home undefeated streak for Real vs. Colorado. The last previous win for the Rapids in Utah was a 2-0 triumph April 30, 2007 at Rice-Eccles Stadium; RSL won 13 of the next 17 home meetings, with four draws.
· The rivals play for the Rocky Mountain Cup, a trophy awarded by the supporters’ groups of both teams.
REAL: Rubio Rubin collected his fifth assist of the season, his last coming on Aug. 18. … Jonathan Menendez gained his fifth assist of his first MLS season, the last coming Sept. 4.
RAPIDS: Auston Trusty recorded his third assist of the season; he has a goal and an assist over the last three games. … Jonathan Lewis gained his second assist of the year; he has a goal and an assist over the last three games. … Keegan Rosenberry collected his third assist of the season, his last coming on Aug. 21.
LA GALAXY vs. PORTLAND TIMBERS
Saturday, Oct. 16, 2021 (Week 30, MLS Game #390)
Dignity Health Sports Park, Carson, Calif.
7:30 p.m. PT (SpecSN; KPDX)
REFEREE: Victor Rivas. AR1 (bench): Michael Barwegen; AR2 (opposite): Eduardo Mariscal; 4th: Chris Ruska; VAR: Jorge Gonzalez; AVAR: Cameron Blanchard
MLS Career: 35 games; FC/gm: 23.4; Y/gm: 3.4; R: 6; pens: 14
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: Galaxy 11 wins, 50 goals … Timbers 10 wins, 50 goals … Ties 6
AT GALAXY: Galaxy 8 wins, 31 goals … Timbers 3 wins, 20 goals … Ties 3
· The Galaxy snapped a three-game losing skid, reaching a 1-1 draw with Los Angeles Football Club at Dignity Health Sports Park. Samuel Grandsir scored his third goal of the season for the Galaxy goal.
· The Timbers won a fourth consecutive match and extended their undefeated run to eight games, with seven victories in that span, defeating Inter Miami CF by the game’s lone goal at Providence Park on Oct. 3. Jaroslaw Niezgoda scored his second goal of the year in the 83rd-minute game-winner.
· The teams are meeting for the second time this season, each winning at home by heavy margins. Felipe Mora netted a pair of goals and Diego Valeri converted a late penalty kick, giving the Timbers the 3-0 victory May 22 at Providence Park. Then on July 30, the Galaxy got goals from four different players in a 4-1 win at Dignity Health Sports Park.
· The last four meetings have seen 24 goals scored in all. The teams met four times a season ago, and the Timbers won three – the final two in goalfests. The Timbers took a 5-2 win at Providence Park on Oct. 28; three weeks earlier, the Timbers set an club record in MLS play for goals in a game in a 6-3 win at Dignity Health Sports Park on Oct. 7. In the first meeting, the Timbers took a 2-1 win July 13 in the first match for both clubs in the MLS is Back Tournament, then the Galaxy claimed a 3-2 win at Providence Park on Sept. 2.
· Each team won at the other’s ground last season, the first away wins in the all-time series since 2017. The Timbers had a three-game undefeated streak in Portland before last year; the Galaxy were undefeated in their last two in the series in Carson.
GALAXY: Victor Vázquez gained his fourth assist of the season, his last coming July 17. … Javier Hernández collected his second career MLS assist, his first coming May 8 (when he also scored a goal).
TIMBERS: Sebastian Blanco gained his sixth assist of the season; he has a goal and four assists over his last five games, since Sept. 15. … Steve Clark was credited with five saves in notching his fifth shutout of the season.
NEW YORK RED BULLS vs. NEW YORK CITY FC
Sunday, Oct. 17, 2021 (Week 30, MLS Game #391)
Red Bull Arena, Harrison, N.J.
1 p.m. ET (ESPN / ESPN Deportes)
REFEREE: Jair Marrufo. AR1 (bench): Frank Anderson; AR2 (opposite): Ian Anderson; 4th: Jon Freemon; VAR: Alex Chilowicz; AVAR: Kathryn Nesbitt
MLS Career: 287 games; FC/gm: 22.9; Y/gm: 2.8; R: 46; pens: 88
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: Red Bulls 9 wins, 34 goals … NYCFC 6 wins, 22 goals … Ties 3
RED BULLS HOME GAME: Red Bulls 6 wins, 17 goals … NYCFC 1 win, 7 goals … Ties 2
· The Red Bulls extended their undefeated streak to six games with a fourth win in that time, defeating Inter Miami FC by the game’s lone goal at Red Bull Arena on Saturday evening. Patryk Klimala scored his eighth goal of the season, his fourth in the last seven games.
· NYCFC put an end to a two-game losing slide, reaching a scoreless draw with Nashville SC at Red Bull Arena on Oct. 3.
· The teams are meeting for the third time this season, after playing a home-and-home series over four days. On Sept. 22 at Red Bull Arena, the Red Bulls’ Patryk Klimala converted a penalty kick 12 minutes into second-half stoppage time, leaving the teams in a 1-1 draw; the goal was the latest scored in a regulation 90-minute game in MLS history; six goals previously had come at 100’+ (10 minutes into stoppage time). Then on Sept. 25 at Yankee Stadium, Omir Fernández scored the game’s only goal in the 43rd minute as the Red Bulls took the win.
· The Red Bulls have won nine of the 18 meetings all-time in league play, with a 34-22 goal differential. Included in that was a 7-0 Red Bulls win on May 21, 2016, at Yankee Stadium, the victory matching the largest margin of victory in MLS history (and the seven goals by the Red Bulls their club record). In all competitions, the Red Bulls have won 11 of 20 matches, with three draws, with a 39-22 goal differential.
RED BULLS: Carlos Miguel Coronel was credited with one save in recording his 10th shutout of the season, tied for third place in MLS this season. … Andrew Gutman collected his second assist this season, both coming in the last 10 games.
NYCFC: Sean Johnson posted a seventh clean sheet this season, credited with one save.
VANCOUVER WHITECAPS FC vs. SPORTING KANSAS CITY
Sunday, Oct. 17, 2021 (Week 30, MLS Game #392)
BC Place, Vancouver, B.C.
7 p.m. PT (TSN; Bally Sports KC)
REFEREE: Silviu Petrescu. AR1 (bench): Chris Wattam; AR2 (opposite): Felisha Mariscal; 4th: Alain Ruch; VAR: Armando Villarreal; AVAR: Rene Parra
MLS Career: 180 games; FC/gm: 27.5; Y/gm: 4.0; R: 25; pens: 42
LEAGUE HEAD-TO-HEAD: Whitecaps FC 3 wins, 19 goals … Sporting 11 wins, 39 goals … Ties 4
AT VANCOUVER: Whitecaps FC 2 wins, 11 goals … Sporting 5 wins, 18 goals … Ties 2
· Whitecaps FC had their four-game undefeated run put to an end, falling 4-1 to Seattle Sounders FC at Lumen Field on Saturday evening. Brian White scored his 10th goal of the season; he has scored each of Vancouver’s last six goals, over the last five matches.
· Sporting won a second consecutive game and for a fourth time in the last five, defeating Houston Dynamo FC 4-2 at Children’s Mercy Park on Oct. 2. Johnny Russell scored a pair of goals, now with 10 for the season, a fifth consecutive game with a goal, with six goals in that span. Daniel Sallói also added his 16th of the year.
· The teams are meeting for the second time this season. Alan Pulido scored a pair of goals and Daniel Sallói added a third as Sporting eased to a 3-0 win May 16 at Children’s Mercy Park.
· Sporting Kansas City have a six-game undefeated streak alive in the series, with five victories in that time, over the last four seasons. Sporting have won the last three meetings in Vancouver, coming away with points on seven of their nine trips all-time to BC Place, with five wins and two draws, including a 3-1 win in the last meeting there, the season opener in 2020 (Feb. 29).
WHITECAPS FC: Ryan Gauld gained his fourth assist of the season, his second in as many games.
SPORTING: Gadi Kinda netted his fifth goal of the season and also added his fourth assist of the year, the third time in his MLS career he had a goal and an assist in the same game. … Daniel Sallói gained his seventh assist of the season, his first since Aug. 14. … Graham Zusi collected his fifth assist of the season, all coming over the last 13 games.