Armchair Analyst's Breakdown
- Strength: They have a large, mobile and very expensive center back pairing, with a solid d-mid and an underrated ‘keeper behind them.
- Weakness: The attack – second-worst in the league last year – remains an open question.
- Maxi Urruti: Center forward Maxi Urruti left for Austin FC in free agency, and will soon become the first player to feature for all three Texan MLS teams. Urruti had seven goals and four assists during his lone season with the Dynamo, arriving via a trade with CF Montréal. He has 238 regular-season appearances after making his MLS debut in 2013.
- Boniek Garcia: Boniek Garcia was a constant for the Dynamo for almost a decade, making 235 appearances for the club after debuting in 2012. The longtime Honduran international signed with Olimpia in his native country upon departing Houston this offseason.
- Sebastian Ferreira: The first big player acquisition under new ownership, Sebastian Ferreira’s arrival in Houston has flown under the radar despite being a DP and club-record signing. The 24-year-old forward brings a strong scoring record in Paraguay and Mexico, the latter of which typically translates into quality performances in MLS.
- Steve Clark: New general manager Pat Onstad was a damn good goalkeeper during his playing days, and one of his first moves with Houston was bringing in Steve Clark via free agency. Clark twice made MLS Cup with the Portland Timbers, including last season when the club fell in penalty kicks to NYCFC.
- Zeca: A versatile fullback who can play on either side, Houston’s front office has been tracking Zeca for half a decade. The former Santos defender nearly signed for the Columbus Crew, when Onstad and technical director Asher Mendelsohn worked there. The deal was all set and ready to go, but there was a coaching change in Santos and all of a sudden Zeca became a key player and stayed.
- Full roster
Projected Starting XI
- Charles Boehm: 14th in West
- Tom Bogert: 12th in West
- Matt Doyle: 14th in West
- David Gass: 13th in West
- Sam Jones: 14th in West
- Joe Lowery: 14th in West
- Greg Seltzer: 14th in West
- Andrew Wiebe: 14th in West