Armchair Analyst's Breakdown
- Strength: One of the best defensive teams in the league, totally content to – and able to – put men behind the ball and wait you out.
- Weakness: If Hany Mukhtar’s not dusting fools, they don’t really have many answers in attack.
- Alistair Johnston: Alistair Johnston was an unheralded pick in the 2020 MLS SuperDraft who became a regular with the Canadian national team. But the defender was traded to CF Montréal this winter for $1 million GAM and has signed a long-term extension at his new club. With Nashville likely spending the majority of 2022 within their 3-4-1-2 formation, expect Alex Muyl to get a run at wingback now that Johnston is gone.
- Jhonder Cadiz: DP center forward Jhonder Cadiz never really broke into Nashville’s first team after signing on loan from Benfica during the 2020 season. From there, they declined to pick up his purchase option this winter. Cadiz produced just 4g/2a in 30 appearances with NSC. The club still has a DP spot open alongside Mukhtar and Ake Loba.
- Sean Davis: Sean Davis was among the top free-agent signings this offseason, with the former New York Red Bulls captain leaving New Jersey for Tennessee. Davis played every single MLS minute for the Red Bulls last year and was a key part of the organization for years. The central midfielder joins former RBNY teammates Dax McCarty and Muyl in Nashville, who open their new downtown stadium May 1.
- Teal Bunbury: The veteran forward probably won’t be expected to start all that often… but that was probably the view of CJ Sapong’s signing last year before he won the starting job and formed a great partnership with Hany Mukhtar. Bunbury arrives via a trade from New England and gives manager Gary Smith another veteran option alongside Sapong, Mukhtar, club-record signing Loba and Daniel Rios in attack.
- Full roster
Projected Starting XI
- Charles Boehm: 1st in West
- Tom Bogert: 2nd in West
- Matt Doyle: 2nd in West
- David Gass: 4th in West
- Sam Jones: 2nd in West
- Joe Lowery: 2nd in West
- Greg Seltzer: 3rd in West
- Andrew Wiebe: 2nd in West
Nashville SC Season Preview