A pair of goals from Nani, including the game-tying goal in the 54th minute, brought Orlando City SC back from a two-goal halftime deficit. But it wasn't enough to get the Lions the three points they had to have to stay in contention for the postseason Saturday in a 3-3 draw with the New England Revolution.
The Revs built a 3-1 halftime lead on goals from Gustavo Bou, Cristian Penilla and a failed clearance from Orlando City's Tesho Akindele. Carles Gil had two assists, one that led to a looping volley into the net from Penilla with Lions goalkeeper Brian Rowe well off his line.
Orlando City, on 35 points in the standings with their playoff hopes on the line, roared back behind Nani, who'd scored with a header off a set piece in the first half. Nani assisted on Dom Dwyer's goal just after halftime, and fired in a long shot after some nifty dribbling in for a 3-3 draw.
With no other choice but to push for all three points, Orlando City couldn't come up with a winner despite seven minutes of stoppage time. New England will stay above the playoff line for another week, as they are now on 40 points.
- 15' – NE – Tesho Akindele (OG) | WATCH
- 22' – ORL – Nani | WATCH
- 35' – NE – Cristian Penilla | WATCH
- 41' – NE – Gustavo Bou | WATCH
- 47' – ORL – Dom Dwyer | WATCH
- 54' – ORL – Nani | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: The Revolution have to feel bad about blowing a two-goal halftime lead, especially when three points would have bolstered their playoff position. But they are in the same place they were before the match started — seventh in the East — with four games to play. For Orlando City, the comeback was a valiant effort, but they now fall back to 10th place in the East after failing to collect the three points they needed.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Three goals allowed by goalkeeper Matt Turner doesn't look great, but Turner got just enough of the ball on a Santiago Patiño shot in the 80th minute to knock it away from the net and salvage a point for the Revs.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Nani did all he could to rescue his team. A brace, an assist and seven shots in the draw.