Minnesota United score winner, stop FC Dallas penalty in furious finish

Through 90 minutes, Saturday's regular season clash between Minnesota United FC and FC Dallas was solid, but a little sleepy. The teams were at 0-0 and seemed destined to see out a scoreless draw.

But with five minutes of stoppage time displayed by the 4th official, the game blew open.

First, second-half substitute Mason Toye scored the go-ahead tally in the 91st minute. The second-year attacker is making the most of his playing time of late, as he scored his fourth goal in his last four league games with the strike off a rebounded save.

With Allianz Field buzzing and looking set to see out a rousing 1-0 win, the game turned again, as another substitute, FC Dallas youngster Bryan Reynolds, drew a penalty on Minnesota United goalkeeper Vito Mannone from a clumsy challenge in Minnesota's box.

The Italian veteran, looking nervous and eager to get the game back underway, was forced to wait through a Video Review by referee Baldomero Toledo, who ultimately ruled a penalty for FC Dallas.

In the 98th minute, Reto Ziegler stepped up to take the spot kick for Dallas. The Swiss veteran, FCD's normal PK taker, didn't get a great shot off and Mannone blocked it. It was Mannone's first penalty save in MLS, and Minnesota head coach Adrian Heath admitted on the local broadcast after the final whistle that the goalkeeper ignored the staff's directions about which side Ziegler would shoot at, but he was glad Mannone made the right call.

"I studied for a long time, two days," Mannone told reporters after the game. "It was the main guy to take the pens, he took some different ones and we studied with the goalie coach. His run up was telling me something different than what I saw on the video, and I waited, waited, waited until the end."

When the final whistle was blown a couple minutes later, Allianz Field broke into their post-win traditional song of "Wonderwall," with the wild finish adding a new dimension to the lyrics.

Heath paid tribute to the supporters for pushing what he called a "flat" team that he was worried about running out on short rest.

"I've got to mention the crowd, because I think they got us over the line today," Heath said. "I've never heard the stadium as loud as this, ever. The last five minutes and then Vito makes the save -- incredible."

"We needed fans to push us all the way and they did, and I'm happy we could give something back to the team, the coaching staff, the fans, the club. That's why I do my job, really, to live this moment and try to help my teammates," Mannone said.