Talks have broken down between FC Cincinnati and Chilean midfielder Matias Fernandez, sources told MLSsoccer.com on Thursday.
Cincinnati head coach Alan Koch told MLSsoccer.com earlier this month that the club were pursuing Fernandez, who is currently under contract with Liga MX club Necaxa. Sources told MLSsoccer.com last Friday that the incoming expansion club made an offer to Fernandez and that they were optimistic that they’d complete a deal early this week, but the parties ended up not being able to agree to a contract.
Chilean reporter Edson Figueroa reported on Wednesday that Fernandez would not be joining Cincinnati.
The sources said that Cincinnati were very high on Fernandez, who had three goals and two assists in 14 appearances with Necaxa in the 2018 Liga MX Apertura season. Prior to moving to Mexico in September 2017, the 32-year-old spent time with Spanish club Villarreal, Portuguese side Sporting Lisbon and Italian clubs Fiorentina and AC Milan. He had 14 goals in 74 career appearances for the Chilean national team.
Cincinnati have 22 players under contract for 2019, but they remain short on established attacking options. The sources said that the club is still exploring options for the No. 10 role that Fernandez would’ve filled had he been signed.