The New York Red Bulls dropped all three points after coughing up a 2-1 lead at New York City FC last week, but bounced back on Saturday night with a 3-1 win against Orlando City SC at Red Bull Arena.
The win is the Red Bulls' fifth in six games, and they did it with a game-winner from Bradley Wright-Phillips, who has now scored 10 goals in his last 11 goals. New York evened the game after a Carlos Rivas goal with some help from Orlando defender Leo Pereira, who put the ball in the back of his own net after a Tyler Adams cross.
- 18' - ORL - Carlos Rivas Watch
- 30' - NY - Leo Pereira (OG) Watch
- 60' - NY - Bradley Wright-Phillips Watch
- 80' - NY - Sean Davis Watch
- BWP CONTINUES CLIMB: Wright-Phillips’ brace last week at NYCFC was overshadowed by a David Villa hat trick, but the Englishman is in some of the best form of his career right now. His 14 goals places him third on the Golden Boot charts, behind Villa and Nemanja Nikolic, and his 83 all-time moved him past Raul Diaz Arce and Brian Ching.
- CONTENTIOUS ENDING: While the game was mostly calm, the two teams did get heated towards the end of the match. First there was a skirmish between Cristian Higuita and Sacha Kljestan that resulted in Kaká mocking Kljestan. They got into in stoppage time again, in a confrontation that resulted in a Video Review. Kaká was eventually shown a red card for violent conduct (hands to the face).
- MUYL’S REDEMPTION: Alex Muyl got a start on Saturday night, after Daniel Royer suffered a knee injury vs. NYCFC, and went on to have an interesting night. The midfielder missed two big chances in the second half that should have resulted in a lead for the Red Bulls, but was able to redeem himself soon after, assisting on Wright-Phillips’ winner.
- NY: Tuesday, Aug. 15 at FC Cincinnati (8 pm ET) - U.S. Open Cup
- ORL: Saturday, Aug. 19 vs. Columbus Crew SC (7:30 pm ET | MLS LIVE)