Roundup: United hook midfield Guppy

D.C. United added a veteran midfielder Wednesday, signing former Leicester City and Celtic player Steve Guppy, a man with nearly 600 professional matches under his belt.

"We have been in discussions with Steve since August of last year and we are pleased to have finally reached an agreement for him to join D.C. United," said Dave Kasper, United's technical director. "Steve brings us a wealth of experience from the highest level of soccer in the U.K. His ability to provide dangerous service from the flanks will allow Peter Nowak another quality option in the midfield."

Guppy joined United on Monday, and he is available for selection in Wednesday night's CONCACAF Champions' Cup quarterfinal second leg at Harbour View FC in Kingston, Jamaica.

The 36-year-old got his start with English club Wycombe Wanderers, spending the first five years of his career there and notching 25 goals in 230 league and cup appearances. In 1994, Guppy was transferred to English Premier League side Newcastle United but spent just two months there before moving to second-tier club Port Vale. After two and a half years at Port Vale, Guppy moved on to Leicester City for four years, amassing nine goals in 133 EPL appearances.

After leaving Leicester City, Guppy spent nearly three years with Scottish Premier League giants Celtic, and in the past 15 months, he's bounced around English soccer, playing for EPL clubs Leicester City and Leeds United and Coca-Cola Championship club Stoke City before returning to Wycombe, who currently play in England's League Two (fourth level).

Guppy, who primarily plays on the left side of midfield, has won one international cap. He suited up for England in a 1999 friendly against Belgium.

Rapids fall to U.S. men: The Colorado Rapids dropped a closed-door scrimmage against the U.S. national team 3-2 on Tuesday in Colorado Springs, Colo., with forwards Jeff Cunningham and Luchi Gonzalez picking up the goals for the Black-and-Blue.

Rapids players suited up for both squads, as goalkeeper Joe Cannon and defender Ritchie Kotschau played for the U.S. and defender Nat Borchers started the game for the Rapids, but switched sides at halftime. Rapids captain Pablo Mastroeni, who is training with the U.S. team as it prepares for the next two matches of World Cup qualifying, was excused from the match entirely, as his first child was born Monday.

The U.S. jumped up early on a quick strike from midfielder Steve Ralston, and shortly before halftime, striker Eddie Johnson doubled the national team lead by finishing off a quick counterattack. Cunningham pulled one back for the Rapids just before the halftime whistle by beating club teammate Cannon one-on-one.

In the second half, Eddie Gaven and Brian Ching combined to stretch the U.S. lead back to two goals, Gaven sending a long pass beyond the Rapids' backline to an onrushing Ching. The "Hawaiian Superman" latched onto the pass and slotted the ball past Rapids 'keeper Byron Foss. Gonzalez provided a late highlight reel goal for the Rapids, sending a scorcher from distance past U.S. substitute 'keeper Kevin Hartman to finish the scoring.

The Rapids will train in Westminster, Colo., Thursday before departing Friday for their final journey of the preseason. The trip to Houston will include Saturday's first-ever meeting with Rocky Mountain rival Real Salt Lake.

Lisi leaves it late for Metros: MetroStars midfielder Mark Lisi provided the game-winning goal in the 86th minute as the Metros topped San Juan Jabloteh 3-2 Tuesday at Hasely Crawford Stadium in Port-of-Spain, Trinidad. John Wolyniec scored the other two goals for the Metros.

Kerry Baptiste put Jabloteh ahead in the 26th minute, firing a shot past Metros 'keeper Zach Wells at the far post, but Wolyniec grabbed his first just three minutes later, pounding home the rebound of a shot by midfielder Gilberto. Honduras international Amado Guevara set up the play with a through ball to the Brazilian, and though his shot was denied, Wolyniec was there to clean up.

Two minutes after halftime, Jabloteh forward Nicholas Addlery put the local side back on top, but in the 61st minute, Wolyniec again provided a response for the visitors. Wolyniec received a pass from Sergio Galvan Rey and chipped the ball past flailing Jabloteh 'keeper Daurance Williams.

A brutal foul on Metros' defender Ademir Dos Santos in the 78th minute by Jabloteh's Trent Noel resulted in the sending off of two players from the home side, as Noel was shown the door for his transgression and teammate Charles Pollard earned his second yellow card of the match for arguing the call. The Metros put their two-man advantage to good use, as Lisi provided the winner with a curling 23-yard free kick four minutes from time.

The MetroStars will play one more match in Trinidad on Friday against W Connection FC.

Jason Halpin is a contributor to This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Soccer or its clubs.

Stay connected: Get access to breaking news, videos, and analysis from North America's best soccer reporters via "This Week in MLS" newsletter or using our FREE mobile app.