Scoring opened in the 14th minute with an own goal from Rapids’ goalkeeper William Yarbrough. Feeling pressure from Wood, center back Lalas Abubakar sent the ball back to Yarbrough, who misplayed the pass and gifted RSL the lead as the ball rolled under his foot.
Just before the 30-minute mark, RSL midfielder Albert Rusnak took advantage of a fast break and got the ball through to Wood. The forward cruised up the pitch and went near-post on Yarbrough with a left-footed shot, putting RSL up 2-0 going into halftime.
With 14 minutes left to play, Rubio Rubin added a third goal to put the game out of reach. This was the first time Colorado have allowed a goal in the last 15 minutes of a game all season.
- THE BIG PICTURE: This win was huge for RSL, who have left points on the table recently. They're now above the Portland Timbers and above the playoff line in the Western Conference. Colorado have played well in previous games, so they’ll look to put this game behind them and regroup as they hit the road again to face Austin FC next weekend.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: RSL forward Bobby Wood scored his first MLS goal in front of a home crowd, pushing the game out of Colorado’s reach.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Bobby Wood’s pressure led to the first goal and then he took Keegan Rosenberry 1-on-1 to score a goal of his own. The 28-year-old has joined after previously spending his entire professional career in Germany.
- RSL: Saturday, July 31 at Houston Dynamo | 8:30 pm ET (MLS LIVE on ESPN+)
- COL: Saturday, July 31 at Austin FC | 9 pm ET (MLS LIVE on ESPN+)