Armchair Analyst's Breakdown
- Strength: They always get multiple runners into the box, so they’re dangerous even when they’re chasing the game.
- Weakness: They spend a lot of time chasing the game, and can get gashed in transition because of it.
- Albert Rusnak: A huge loss for RSL, Albert Rusnak was integral to so much the Claret-and-Cobalt have done for the last five years. Rusnak, who signed with Seattle in free agency, had 41 goals and 39 assists in 140 appearances with RSL. In 2021, he started all 34 games, was among the top five in the league in distance covered and had 11g/11a. It’ll be difficult to replace him.
- Anderson Julio: The door isn’t closed for Anderson Julio to return, but at time of writing, the livewire winger is still with Liga MX’s Atlético San Luis. Julio was added by RSL on loan last year and the parties haven’t found a permanent return just yet.
- Sergio Cordova: Really the only key senior addition so far, Sergio Cordova arrives on loan from FC Augsburg with a purchase option. The 24-year-old Venezuelan international forward didn’t get regular playing time at the German Bundesliga club with injuries and a loan to Arminia Bielefeld. The club signed Ricardo Pepi from FC Dallas this offseason, further complicating his path to minutes.
- With new ownership arriving just before preseason started, it’s a big ol’ TBD. RSL have plenty of possibilities at the top of the roster and ownership could make a splash. They have plenty of time with the Primary Transfer Window open through the spring. Key veterans like Justin Meram and Everton Luiz were re-signed, too.
- Full roster
Projected Starting XI
- Charles Boehm: 10th in West
- Tom Bogert: 14th in West
- Matt Doyle: 10th in West
- David Gass: 11th in West
- Sam Jones: 11th in West
- Joe Lowery: 11th in West
- Greg Seltzer: 12th in West
- Andrew Wiebe: 12th in West