LAFC’s MLS Cup 2022 title victory over the Philadelphia Union was one for the ages, prompting some historic viewership numbers.
The game, won by the Black & Gold in penalty kicks after a 3-3 draw, included Gareth Bale’s incredible 128th-minute equalizing header and goalkeeper John McCarthy’s shootout heroics.
Held at Banc of California Stadium last Saturday, here are some fast facts from the 27th MLS Cup:
- It was the most-viewed MLS Cup since 1997 (highest viewership in 25 years).
- The match generated 2.155 million viewers in the U.S. alone on FOX (1.487 million) and Univision (668k).
- In Philadelphia, MLS Cup 2022 set new marks as the most-viewed Union match of all time.
- In Los Angeles, this was the second-most viewed LAFC match of all time behind the 2019 Playoff El Trafico.
- MLS Cup 2022 was the second-most viewed club soccer match of the season in English behind the UEFA Champions League Final on May 28.
Experience MLS Cup 2022!