A few strange things happened in Commerce City this weekend. In the end, it was that the Colorado Rapids broke out with a wild 6-3 win over the visiting Montreal Impact behind a hat trick from Kei Kamara, only the second of his career.
The match also saw two own goals, two stoppage time goals, and two penalty kick goals. That on top of the actual plague being found in the surrounding areas. Oh, and the Rapids set a new team record with six goals in a regular season game.
Kamara started off the scoring, but for the wrong side, when he tried to clear a cross away and inadvertently headed it into his own goal. Evan Bush was then credited with an own goal, and Kamara put away a penalty kick after it was awarded following Video Review and one from the run of play. Diego Rubio finished the first half scoring with his own tally.
The Impact cut the lead to one with second half goals from Maxi Urruti and Saphir Taïder, but Andre Shinyashiki quickly extended the lead before Kamara finished his hat trick in the final minutes.
- 18’ — MTL — Kei Kamara (own goal) | WATCH
- 21’ — COL — Evan Bush (own goal) | WATCH
- 36’ — COL — Kei Kamara (penalty) | WATCH
- 45+1' — COL — Kei Kamara | WATCH
- 45+4’ — COL — Diego Rubio | WATCH
- 55’ — MTL — Maxi Urruti | WATCH
- 76’ — MTL — Saphir Taïder (penalty) WATCH
- 78’ — COL — Andre Shinyashiki | WATCH
- 90’ — COL — Kei Kamara | WATCH
MOMENT OF THE MATCH
: He's fifth all-time with 123 career goals, but this was only his second hat trick:
- COL: Saturday, August 10 vs. San Jose Earthquakes (9:00 pm ET | MLS Live on ESPN+ in the US, MLS LIVE on DAZN n Canada)
- MTL: Wednesday, August 7 vs Cavalry FC, Canadian Championship (7:30 pm ET; OneSoccer.ca)