Substitute Darren Mattocks converted a penalty in the 75th minute after Michael Murillo's hand ball moments earlier, and Jamaica defeated Panama 1-0 in the first of two Concacaf Gold Cup quarterfinals at Lincoln Financial Field on Sunday.
Mattocks' fifth-career Gold Cup goal takes Jamaica to within one victory of their third consecutive appearance in the tournament final after losing in their previous two, to Mexico in 2015 and the US national team in 2017.
The Reggae Boyz will meet either the US in the semifinals on Wednesday in Nashville (9pm ET | FS1, Univision, UDN), after the Americans' 1-0 victory over Curacao later Sunday evening.
Panama had 60 percent of the game's possession and arguably more quality chances, but were eliminated in the quarterfinals for a second consecutive tournament.
- 75' - JAM - Darren Mattocks (PK) | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: Jamaica still have yet to play their best soccer, perhaps as a result of the increased respect shown by opponents following back to back Gold Cup finals appearances. Yet here they are again, one win away from reaching the final for a third time. If they win their semifinal on Wednesday, they'd be the first team to reach three straight finals since the US reached five in a row from 2005 to 2013.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: It wasn't so much Mattocks' penalty as the discussion that preceded it. The FC Cincinnati forward had only entered the game two minutes earlier for Dever Orgill, yet as soon as referee Mario Escobar pointed to the spot, Mattocks grabbed the ball insistently. An animated discussion between he, New York Red Bulls fullback Kemar Lawrence and a few other Jamaica players followed, but ultimately Mattocks got his wish and came through with an emphatic penalty.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Andre Blake. Los Canaleros were on the front foot at times, but the Philadelphia Union goalkeeper made every correct decision while playing in his home city, snuffing out a couple breakaways, making two saves and completing several difficult catches he made look routine.
- JAM: Wednesday, July 3 vs. United States, Gold Cup semifinal (9 pm ET | FS1, Univision, UDN)
- PAN: Eliminated from Gold Cup