Sporting Kansas City Highlights vs. Toluca
Watch the best moment’s of Sporting Kansas City’s 3-0 victory over Toluca FC which broke a 10-match unbeaten streak for the Mexican side. #SCCL2019 #SKCvTOLPosted by Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League on Thursday, February 21, 2019
Gerso Fernandes and Ilie Sanchez followed Krisztian Nemeth's first-half goal to lift the hosts to a 3-0 win over Toluca in the opening leg of the Round of 16 series on Thursday night at Children’s Mercy Park.
Sporting takes a commanding lead into their return leg at Estadio Nemesio Diez next Thursday night.
After several close calls in the opening half hour, Nemeth gave SKC the lead in the 35th minute. Fernandes was played behind by Matt Besler, racing into the box before slamming on the brakes and leaving the ball for Nemeth. The Hungarian did the rest. With two quick touches, he created a sliver of space and fired home from 12 yards out.
Fernandes made it 2-0 in the 52nd minute, combining with Felipe Gutierrez on the left side of the box before sending the ball toward the goal. Nemeth got a touch, but Fernandes followed up by blasting the ball under the crossbar.
With 18 minutes remaining, Ilie made Toluca pay for a failed clearance, crushing a volley from the edge of the 18-yard box to put the game away.
- 35’ — SKC — Krisztian Nemeth
- 52’ — SKC — Gerso Fernandes
- 72’ — SKC — Ilie Sanchez
- THE BIG PICTURE: The night couldn’t have gone better for Sporting Kansas City. Not only do they take a three-goal lead to Mexico, they didn’t concede an away goal, putting the pressure squarely on Toluca.
With tonight's 3-0 win, this is the second time in @TheChampions League history (1968-present) that an American or @MLS team has beaten a Mexican side by 3 goals.— SKC Matchday (@SKCmatchday) February 22, 2019
Emphatic.#SKCvTOL | #SCCL2019 pic.twitter.com/Xp4oRPrTjT
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Sporting’s critical first goal was a thing of beauty, from Besler's inch-perfect ball out of the back, to Fernandes’ run into the box, to Nemeth’s calm finish.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Fernandes created havoc for Toluca defenders all night with his speed and 1-v-1 ability. He helped set up the opening goal, rifled home the second goal and also played a role in the third goal.
- SKC: Thursday, Feb. 28 at Toluca (2nd leg, 10 pm ET | YahooSports.com, UDN)
- TOL: Sunday, Feb. 24 at Santos Laguna (7:06 pm ET)