They are two of the hottest teams in MLS and on Sunday, there was nothing that could separate them.
LAFC and the Portland Timbers played to a 0-0 draw at Banc of California Stadium, as they each extended their unbeaten streaks. Portland are now 12 unbeaten overall and LAFC have yet to lose at home in their nine matches.
Both teams had their chances, with LAFC controlling the majority of the possession and the Timbers looking dangerous on the counter. One of the best of chances of the match came through Timbers striker Samuel Armenteros, who found the post with his left foot after a feed from Zarek Valentin.
Carlos Vela made his first start since returning from the World Cup and made his presence known on the right wing, taking four shots and creating three chances. His best chance came in the 94th minute when he had a chance with his head from close range, but was unable to pick out a spot in the back of the net.
A rematch is already set for the two West contenders as they will meet in the U.S. Open Cup quarterfinals on Wednesday in LA.
- THE BIG PICTURE: Both team acquitted themselves well on a hot afternoon. They showed why they should be considered favorites to reach MLS Cup out of the Western Conference.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Less than five minutes into the match, LAFC midfielder Benny Feilhaber was nonchalant with the ball in front of his own 18, and Diego Valeri took advantage. The 2017 MLS MVP picked Feilhaber's pocket and was quickly through on goal. But he was unable to find an opener as goalkeeper Tyler Miller got down to his left to make the save.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: While both teams had chances, Timbers defensive midfielder Diego Chara was his usual strong self in front of the Portland backline. He won 73 percent of his 11 duels and completed 93 percent of his 53 passes.
- LAFC: U.S. Open Cup | Wednesday, July 18 vs. Portland Timbers (10:30 pm ET)
- POR: U.S. Open Cup | Wednesday, July 18 at LAFC (10:30 pm ET)