NEW YORK (Thursday, November 16, 2017) – Major League Soccer announced today that Sporting Kansas City goalkeeper Tim Melia has been voted the 2017 Allstate MLS Goalkeeper of the Year.
The 31-year-old Melia put together his strongest MLS season this year, leading the league with a 0.78 goals-against average and 78.4 save percentage among goalkeepers to make at least 15 regular-season appearances. Melia’s 10 shutouts also ranked second in the league.
- RELATED RESOURCE: Video soundbytes from Tim Melia
Melia completed his third season as Sporting’s starting goalkeeper, setting career highs in wins (12), shutouts (10), saves (91), minutes (2,759) and games started (31) in 2017.
While Melia’s season was shortened late this year with a hamstring injury, it did not diminish the collective impact he had for Sporting this year. Kansas City’s defense led MLS by conceding the fewest goals this season with 29. It is the third-lowest total since the league’s 34-game regular season format.
Outside of league play, Melia played a crucial part in Sporting’s run to the 2017 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup crown. He particularly shone with two saves in a penalty kick shootout to defeat the San Jose Earthquakes in the tournament’s semifinals on Aug. 9. Melia then anchored Sporting’s defense for a 2-1 win against the New York Red Bulls on Sept. 20 to earn the championship. It marked Melia’s second Open Cup crown with Sporting, following up his 2015 run to the title.
Melia becomes the organization’s third MLS Goalkeeper of the Year recipient, joining the ranks of National Soccer Hall of Famer Tony Meola (2002) and Jimmy Nielsen (2012). Sporting are the first MLS club to have three different Goalkeeper of the Year award winners; the San Jose Earthquakes have claimed the honor three times, with Pat Onstad winning twice.
Melia received 50.29 percent of the average vote, compiled from three groups: active players, media and club technical staff.
|Allstate Goalkeeper of the Year||Player Vote %||Club Vote %||Media Vote %||Average %|
|Tim Melia (SKC)||46.12%||48.81%||55.95%||50.29%|
|Andre Blake (PHI)||15.51%||7.14%||7.74%||10.13%|
|Stefan Frei (SEA)||4.49%||7.14%||13.10%||8.24%|
|Alex Bono (TOR)||2.86%||5.95%||4.17%||4.33%|
|Sean Johnson (NYC)||2.86%||4.76%||5.36%||4.33%|
|Brad Guzan (ATL)||3.67%||2.38%||1.79%||2.61%|
Allstate Goalkeeper of the Year Winners:
- 2017: Tim Melia – Sporting Kansas City
- 2016: Andre Blake – Philadelphia Union
- 2015: Luis Robles – New York Red Bulls
- 2014: Bill Hamid – D.C. United
- 2013: Donovan Ricketts – Portland Timbers
- 2012: Jimmy Nielsen – Sporting Kansas City
- 2011: Kasey Keller – Seattle Sounders FC
- 2010: Donovan Ricketts – LA Galaxy
- 2009: Zach Thornton – Chivas USA
- 2008: Jon Busch – Chicago Fire
- 2007: Brad Guzan – Chivas USA
- 2006: Troy Perkins – D.C. United
- 2005: Pat Onstad – San Jose Earthquakes
- 2004: Joe Cannon – Colorado Rapids
- 2003: Pat Onstad – San Jose Earthquakes
- 2002: Joe Cannon – San Jose Earthquakes
- 2001: Tim Howard – MetroStars
- 2000: Tony Meola – Kansas City Wizards
- 1999: Kevin Hartman – Los Angeles Galaxy
- 1998: Zach Thornton – Chicago Fire
- 1997: Brad Friedel – Columbus Crew
- 1996: Mark Dodd – Dallas Burn