The rumors swirling around recently crowned MLS Cup champion David Beckham have become a little more solid.
Earlier this week, the LA Galaxy superstar admitted that “two big European clubs” have been courting him.
And on Thursday, news came out that confirmed Paris Saint-Germain as one of those suitors.
"Yes, we've spoken,” PSG sporting director Leonardo told The Sun. “These situations take time. We'll see if something suits him and suits us.”
Leonardo might have pole position in the race to sign Beckham, 36, if indeed Beckham decides to return to Europe. The Brazilian manager was in charge of AC Milan when Beckham played there on loan in 2010.
"I know his history and he doesn't need to tell me his past,” Leonardo said. “He went to Milan and it was the same thing. There is a rapport with him.”
PSG are currently in first place in Ligue 1. They were recently acquired by a flush Qatari ownership group, and the acquisition of a global icon like Beckham would be a major publicity coup.
“When you talk about Beckham, you're talking about something big,” Leonardo said. “Now his contract is finished, he will decide his future."
Beckham has often admitted how much he and his family have enjoyed living in Southern California. The Galaxy have repeatedly stated that they would like to re-sign Beckham.
“I believe David will be here again next year,” Tim Leiweke, president of AEG, who owns the Galaxy, told Sports Illustrated in late October. “People can make any offer they want. The loyalty he has to this club, because of the way we have treated him and stood by him, is going to be rewarded if we so choose to continue with David."
The Galaxy, who are headed on tour in Asia, will need a player of Beckham’s quality and stature in 2012 — the first year of a new, record-breaking TV contract with Time Warner.
It will be a busy year with the knockout stages of the CONCACAF Champions League and the MLS season starting in March, plus the likelihood of several high-profile international matches.