The US controlled the action for much of the first half, eventually finding their breakthrough in the 36th minute through Weah. Christian Pulisic provided the service with an inch-perfect through ball, allowing the Lille winger to convert a first-time finish past Wales goalkeeper Wayne Hennessey.
It was tougher sledding in the second half as Wales chased an equalizer. They nearly found one in a pivotal sequence starting in the 65th minute, when former New England Revolution standout and Arsenal goalkeeper Matt Turner made a highlight-reel save to deny Ben Davies on the doorstep.
- THE BIG PICTURE: The final outcome wasn't a devastating result, but the Yanks will be disappointed to not open up group play with three points after a comprehensive first half had them holding the late lead. Instead of a crucial victory, it's a missed opportunity ahead of a mammoth Group B matchup with England on Friday, which now has even loftier implications for the USMNT's World Cup hopes.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: The result was decided on the late sequence that led to Bale's pressure-packed PK, which he converted for his Welsh-record 41st career international goal.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: It was a lights-out shift from USMNT captain Tyler Adams, who was all over the field doing the dirty work that makes him arguably the team's most indispensable player.
- USA: Friday, November 25 vs. England | 2 pm ET (FOX, Telemundo) | Group B
- Wales: Friday, November 25 vs. Iran | 5 am ET (FOX, Telemundo) | Group B