Los Angeles Football Club continued to plow their deep, long furrow through the rest of Major League Soccer in Week 18, blowing out the Vancouver Whitecaps 6-1 at Banc of California Stadium to take revenge for the Canadians' upset win at BC Place back in April (one of just two losses for LAFC this season) and maintain their commanding lead in the Supporters' Shield race.
An early miscommunication between goalkeeper Pablo Sisniega and center back Dejan Jakovic handed Yordy Reyna a gift of a goal to fuel hopes of another 'Caps win. But that only seemed to spark LAFC's fire, as the hosts put the match in a chokehold and eventually broke through with two corner-kick goals before halftime.
The floodgates well and truly opened after the break, as Mark-Anthony Kaye and Carlos Vela orchestrated the Black & Gold to their flowing, menacing best, with Vancouver barely able to catch breath. A late red card to Vancouver forward Fredy Montero for a rash challenge was the final indignity on a night to forget for VWFC.
- 5' – VAN – Yordy Reyna | WATCH
- 35' – LAFC – Andy Rose (OG) | WATCH
- 41' – LAFC – Adama Diomande | WATCH
- 46' – LAFC – Mark-Anthony Kaye | WATCH
- 54' – LAFC – Carlos Vela | WATCH
- 70' – LAFC – Carlos Vela | WATCH
- 72' – LAFC – Diego Rossi | WATCH
MAN OF THE MATCH
: Lots of competition for this one; we'll give
the nod after he scored two goals, assisted on a third and served a dangerous corner kick that led to a 'Caps own goal. Just another day at The Banc for the MLS Golden Boot frontrunner.
- LAFC: Wednesday, July 10 vs. Portland - U.S. Open Cup quarterfinals (10:30 pm ET | ESPN+)
- VAN: Wednesday, July 10 at Calgary Cavalry FC - Canadian Championship third round (9:30 pm ET | OneSoccer)