In the first battle between the two teams that will enter Major League Soccer in 2020, Inter Miami CF got the better of a coin flip against Nashville SC in Sunday's Expansion Priority Draft, choosing the No.1 pick in the Expansion Draft. Miami will also get to continue to build out their roster with the No.1 pick in the 2020 MLS Superdraft and the penultimate position in Discovery Player Ranking.
Nashville, meanwhile, grabbed the No.1 position in Allocation Ranking Order as well as the Penultimate position in MLS Re-Entry and End-of-Year Waiver Order.
MLS Expansion Priority Draft Results
Inter Miami CF:
- 2019 MLS Expansion Draft: No. 1 pick
- Allocation Ranking Order: No. 2 pick
- 2020 MLS SuperDraft presented by Adidas: No. 1 pick
- MLS Re-Entry and End-of-Year Waiver Order: No. 26 pick
- Discovery Player Ranking: No. 25 pick
- 2019 MLS Expansion Draft: No. 2 pick
- Allocation Ranking Order: No. 1 pick
- 2020 MLS SuperDraft presented by Adidas: No. 2 pick
- MLS Re-Entry and End-of-Year Waiver Order: No. 25 pick
- Discovery Player Ranking: No. 26 pick
The Expansion Priority Draft took place during a packed Matchday Central: Decision Day presented by AT&T Pregame Show. Joining the show live from AT&T MLS Studios in midtown Manhattan was Miami managing owner & CEO Jorge Mas, Miami sporting director Paul McDonough, Nashville CEO Ian Ayre and Nashville general manager Mike Jacobs.
The next step for both teams en route to their inaugural MLS season will take place on November 19, with the Expansion Draft. Both Miami and Nashville will be able to select up to five players from current MLS rosters. Each of the current teams can protect up to 12 players, while D.C United, FC Dallas, the Houston Dynamo, the New York Red Bulls and the Vancouver Whitecaps are all exempt from the draft having had players taken by FC Cincinnati last year.