USL Championship side New Mexico United went on the road in the U.S. Open Cup and beat another MLS side, this time FC Dallas 2-1 to advance to the quarterfinals.
Dallas opened the scoring, though an absolute banger from Brandon Servania in the 41st minute, ripping a half volley from outside the 18-yard box into the far corner. But the good vibe didn't last long for Dallas, as Kevaughn Frater equalized for NMU before halftime.
In the second half, New Mexico took the lead. A dangerous set piece resulted in a scramble in front of the goal, eventually falling to Sam Hamilton six yards out and the center back made no mistakes.
Dallas had five players in their starting XI aged 20 or younger, including 16-year-old Ricardo Pepi, and another two entered from the bench.
- 41' – FCD – Brandon Servania | WATCH
- 45' – NMU – Kevaughn Frater | WATCH
- 64' – NMU – Sam Hamilton | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: Starting the round of 16 as one of just two non-MLS sides alive, New Mexico continued their Cinderella run. They have earned a trip to Allianz Field to face Minnesota United in the quarterfinals.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: New Mexico's game-winner was a great moment, but you're going to want to watch Servania's goal on loop.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Kevaughn Frater, who starred in his side's win over Colorado Rapids in the last round, was the star man again. He's quickly playing his way onto the radar of MLS clubs.
- FCD: Sat., June 22 vs. Toronto FC (8 pm ET | TSN, MLS LIVE on ESPN+ in US)
- NMU: Sat., June 22 at LA Galaxy II (10 pm ET) | USL Championship