A late goal from left back Ryan Hollingshead, combined with a first-half goal from Michael Barrios, was enough for FC Dallas to outlast the Colorado Rapids 2-1 at Toyota Stadium on Saturday afternoon.
FC Dallas had their opportunities to score throughout the first half, starting in the second minute with a chance for Dominique Badji, and finally converted in the 35th minute. Barrios took a pass across the box from Jesus Ferreira, turned, and neatly fired to complete a true team goal and get the home side on the board.
The Rapids couldn't convert on any of their first-half opportunities — most notably, an enticing Keegan Rosenberry cross to goal that Matt Hedges deftly cleared from a sliding, angling-to-finish Nicolas Mezquida.
The second half held more chances for FC Dallas, but they weren't able to get a final ball in on three separate opportunities in the half's first 20 minutes. Then, on a 69th minute Rapids free kick from Jack Price, Kei Kamara elevated and headed the ball off the post, and Tommy Smith bundled in the rebound to equalize — though it took Video Review to confirm the ball had indeed crossed the line.
In the 82nd minute, two second-half subs brought a chance that Dallas finally was able to capitalize on: 17-year-old academy product Thomas Roberts fed Zdenek Ondrasek with a potential assist; though Ondrasek was denied via a Tim Howard kick save, Hollingshead was right behind to put in the rebound for the game-winner.
- 35' – DAL – Michael Barrios | WATCH
- 69' – COL – Tommy Smith | WATCH
- 82' – DAL – Ryan Hollingshead | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: FC Dallas got themselves back into the thick of the Western Conference playoff mix — where it's going to be wild and crowded throughout the season. They gutted out a win that could have been, if not for late, good fortune, a disappointing draw in which they rued missed second-half chances. The Rapids, meanwhile, have yet to win in 2019. There are encouraging signs from the squad that continued to be on display throughout the match, but encouraging signs alone don't get you into the playoffs. Also of note for the #PlayYourKids crowd, FC Dallas started five Homegrowns and brought on one more to match an MLS-record six Homegrowns in one match.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Though the goal by Hollingshead was the difference-maker, it was the goal by Smith that changed the complexion of the match, putting FCD on edge, giving the Rapids hope for a result or even an outright win, and jumping the last 20 minutes of the match up a level in intensity.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Barrios scored the opening goal, kept running, and did enough to allow the fresher legs on the team to deliver late.
- DAL: Saturday, March 30 at Real Salt Lake (9 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+, DAZN in Canada)
- COL: Saturday, March 30 vs. Houston Dynamo (9 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+, DAZN in Canada)