GUADALAJARA, Mexico – The final decision on Erick “Cubo” Torres’ future is still on hold, but clarity could come sometime in the next five weeks.
The 21-year-old Mexico international told reporters this week in Guadalajara there will definitely be news on his future by Dec. 15, and that he is proud Major League Soccer would like to retain him for the 2015 season and beyond.
“I’ve felt very good there [in Los Angeles], the league and team has treated me very well in general,” said Torres, who scored 22 goals in 44 appearances for Chivas USA. “I’ve felt very comfortable on and off the field, it’s a source of pride that the league wants to keep me.”
MLS Commissioner Don Garber stated last month that the league is working to retain Torres and MLS does have a buy-out option following his loan to Chivas USA from Chivas Guadalajara. An MLS spokesperson confirmed on Friday that MLS must decide on or before Dec. 15 whether to exercise its transfer option on Torres.
Torres said he believes his feelings on whether he wants to continue in MLS or move to the Liga MX will be respected in the decision-making process.
“In the end, my word counts and applies,” said Torres, who is currently training at Chivas in order to keep in shape ahead of joining up with Mexico’s Under-21 national team squad for the Central American and Caribbean Games this Sunday.
“The decision I take with my family and people advising me will be the best one for the three parties [MLS, Chivas Guadalajara and himself].”
Torres, however, remains vague on what his priority is, stressing both that his experience in MLS has been positive and that he would like to return to his childhood club in Guadalajara at some point.
“I have no doubt that I will return,” Torres said. “I don’t know if it will be in January or inside four or five years with more experience.”
“I know that I’ll return to score lots of goals,” he added, “and make the fans here happy.”