FRISCO, Texas – The mystery man FC Dallas had targeted before the close of the spring transfer window won't be coming to Major League Soccer just yet.
Technical director Fernando Clavijo (above) told MLSsoccer.com last Friday that the club was close with an unnamed midfielder who was still involved in a high-stakes final, but it looks as if the deal won't be consummated ahead of Monday's deadline.
“Unfortunately, we will not be able to do anything before this window now," Clavijo told reporters on Monday. "We ran out of time. We’re still looking in the league, which doesn’t apply to the window anyway, but international, no.”
Clavijo confirmed that the mystery midfielder he has targeted tops his list of six Discovery Claims for the 2013 season and will still be aggressively pursued going into the next transfer window, which opens on July 9.
As for the identity of his coveted player, Clavijo still would not say. But he did drop some tantalizing hints.
“It’s funny because I had identified one [player] that I went to see [in Brazil], but it was somebody else that caught my attention," he explained. "Somebody who I knew from the past, from [them] playing internationally. Young, 22 … but has some good experience. He’s been playing on big teams and playing at a good level. Very good level."
He also said the player’s team is still active in the finals of the competition they are playing in and that this played a large part in the timing not working out. That would seem to move focus away from a player involved in the CONCACAF Champions League, as that competition wrapped up last week. However, the Copa Libertadores is in the middle of its Round of 16, and FC Dallas certainly have a taste for South American talent.
There is still the possibility of acquiring a player that is already in MLS before the July window, but Clavijo said he would be willing to swing a deal utilizing only certain assets.
“We’re not looking to trade any players whatsoever from this team," he said. "I’m happy with the roster.”