Sebastian Blanco gave the Timbers the lead after 14 minutes, capitalizing after a misclearance by NYCFC. Blanco reacted quickest and lifted his first-time effort over Brad Stuver and into the net. As it turned out, it was all they'd need.
Taty Castellanos nearly equalized before the break, sending his volley from a corner kick just wide.
The Timbers had multiple opportunities in the second half to add an insurance goal. Jeremy Ebobisse hit the post from close range while Brian Fernandez found the back of the net with a header, though the assistant's flag was raised for offside. Later in the half, Fernandez scored but again saw the flag raised as the ball hit the back of the net.
It was the first time that Fernandez has appeared for the Timers and failed to score.
- 14' – POR – Sebastian Blanco | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: The Timbers are now four points below the playoff line while NYCFC missed a chance to climb towards the top of the East on a weekend that saw Philadelphia, D.C., Atlanta, Montreal and the Red Bulls all drop points.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Quick reflexes from Blanco gave Portland the only goal they needed.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Blanco got the goal, but Diego Valeri was so often dangerous and key in unlocking the NYCFC defense.
- NYC: Sunday, July 14 at New York Red Bulls (6:30 pm ET | FS1 in US, TSN in Canada)
- POR: Saturday, July 13 vs. Colorado Rapids (11 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN in US, on DAZN in Canada)