Florian Jungwirth - San Jose Earthquakes - isolated
USA Today Sports

Ex-Earthquakes player responds to Jungwirth's recent criticism of roster

The San Jose Earthquakes are struggling through the first half of the season, with 12 points through 18 games, and so far just two wins.

Midfielder/defender Florian Jungwirth has previously called out his team's approach this season as "youth soccer," and in an interview published on Quakes Epicenter this week, he was not afraid to discuss what he thinks the issues have been this season for San Jose.

“As a player, you want to get results, but this year we have to be honest: we don’t have the quality to compete with most of the teams in this league,” Jungwirth told Quakes Epicenter. “So, that’s the problem, but I think we all saw it [coming]. It’s not like to blame on single players, on [a] single person or whatever. Like I said, the quality is not good enough, otherwise we would have been able to straighten out and win some games.”

Despite being in just his second season in San Jose, Jungwirth has been regarded as a leader for a rebuilding Quakes side. But his comments have not gone unnoticed, with former Earthquakes defender Jordan Stewart responding to the German's criticism on Twitter.

The Earthquakes have already made one move in the Secondary Transfer Window, as they have signed Georgian defender Guram Kashia, who is eligible to play in San Jose's next game, on Saturday against the Montreal Impact (7:30 pm ET | TVAS - Full TV & Streaming Info).

You can read the rest of Jungwirth's comments over at Quakes Epicenter.

Stay connected: The all-new, completely redesigned, FREE official MLS app is your best mobile source for scores, news, analysis and highlights. Download:  App Store  |  Google Play