Columbus Crew SC were largely dormant for the first hour, allowing Toronto FC to post a 3-0 lead, before coming back with a furious comeback in the final 30 minutes to draw 3-3 at MAPFRE Stadium on Saturday.
Ryan Telfer earned a penalty from Artur in the 16th minute, and Victor Vazquez stepped up to convert the spot kick a minute later for Toronto FC. Sebastian Giovinco nearly doubled the lead in the 37th minute, but his curling blast bounced off the bottom of the post, before substitute Tosaint Ricketts scored a minute later to double TFC's lead.
After the halftime break, TFC extended their lead even more through a trademark free kick by Giovinco. Columbus then really started to push their way into the reckoning, and found the scoreboard in the 67th minute, as Gyasi Zardes scored a header. Substitute Alex Crognale then added another goal in the final 10 minutes to continue the rally for Crew SC.
The result also means Columbus keep the Trillium Cup, the rivalry trophy between the teams, for 2018.
- 17' – TOR – Victor Vazquez (PK) | WATCH
- 38' – TOR – Tosaint Ricketts | WATCH
- 57' – TOR – Sebastian Giovinco | WATCH
- 67' – CLB – Gyasi Zardes | WATCH
- 81' – CLB – Alex Crognale | WATCH
- 90' – CLB – Federico Higuain | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: Both teams will have facets of their game to work on from this one, but Crew SC will clearly feel like this was a positive result, considering they looked dead by the 58th minute, down 3-0. TFC finally grab a road point, but this one is going to hurt, letting two points slip from their fingers.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: The late penalty set up the comeback that looked unlikely a short time earlier.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Federico Higuain helped lead the rally for Crew SC, and tallied an assist and the tying goal from the spot to complete the wild comeback.