Columbus Crew SC vs. LA Galaxy
2017 MLS Regular Season
MAPFRE Stadium - Columbus, Ohio
Wednesday, August 23 – 7:30 pm ET
WATCH: MLS LIVE
Life after Jelle Van Damme officially begins on Wednesday for the LA Galaxy at Columbus Crew SC, though it's not like things were going particularly well before the Belgian departed to be closer to family.
In Columbus, they face a side that has been inconsistent at times, but sits above the playoff line in a vastly improved Eastern Conference. To that aim, Crew SC pulled off an important away draw at Orlando last weekend after an impressive victory over the Chicago Fire the week before.
Galaxy boss Sigi Schmid must hope the extra training time of the idle weekend past will have helped import Jonathan dos Santos gain a better understanding of his new teammates, and perhaps spark a late resurgence.
Columbus Crew SC
- Suspended: Harrison Afful (red card)
- International Duty: None
- Injury Report: OUT: D - Gaston Sauro (left PCL surgery), M - Ben Swanson (right ankle surgery); QUESTIONABLE: M Federico Higuain (right knee sprain), M Niko Hansen (thigh injury), M Kekuta Manneh (left ankle sprain), M Artur (left Thigh Strain)
Projected Starting XI (3-4-3, left to right): Zack Steffen – Lalas Abubakar, Alex Crognale, Jonathan Mensah – Waylon Francis, Mohammed Abu, Wil Trapp, Hector Jimenez – Justin Meram, Ola Kamara, Cristian Martinez
Notes: Crew SC have lost six of their last nine MLS regular season games against the Galaxy (1W, 2D) dating back to the 2010 MLS season, scoring multiple goals only once. ... Columbus are winners of four of their last five league home games, outscoring their opponents 11-4.
- Suspended: None
- International duty: None
- Injury Report: OUT — M Baggio Husidic (fractured fibula), M Sebastian Lletget (foot surgery), D Robbie Rogers (season-ending ankle injury), M Jermaine Jones (toe injury), F Giovani dos Santos (hamstring injury)
Projected Starting XI (4-2-3-1, left to right): Brian Rowe — Ashley Cole Dave Romney, Daniel Steres, Pele Van Anholt — Rafael Garcia, Joao Pedro — Emmanuel Boateng, Jonathan dos Santos, Romain Alessandrini — Gyasi Zardes
Notes: The Galaxy are attempting to avoid losing a fourth consecutive MLS away match for the first time since Sept. 14 to Oct. 20, 2008.
This fixture between founding MLS members is one of the most-played interconference series in league history, as well as one of the most even.
- Overall: Crew SC 16 wins (56 goals) ... Galaxy 15 wins (52 goals) ... 10 draws
- At Columbus: Crew SC 9 wins (31 goals) ... Galaxy 4 wins (21 goals) ... 6 draws
Referee: Sorin Stoica
Assistant Referees: Ian Anderson, Craig Lowry
4th Official: Marcos DeOliveira
VAR: Hilario Grajeda