Diego Rubio hammered an emphatic volley for his third goal across all competitions, Gerso Fernandes added his first since early June, and Sporting Kansas City secured a crucial 2-0 home victory over FC Dallas on Saturday night.
Graham Zusi assisted both goals for SKC, who entered Saturday night in a four-way tie on points for the top spot in the Western Conference, and preserved their first shutout in eight league matches.
Dallas entered the night two points off the conference lead, but saw their winless streak stretch to four games. FCD have scored only one goal in that 0-3-1 stretch.
- THAT CLEAN (SHEET) FEELING: Despite entering the weekend having allowed a league low 19 goals, SKC hadn't kept a clean sheet in MLS since June 17. They now have a league-high 10 in the league, not to mention three more in their run to the 2017 U.S. Open Cup Final. Across all competitions, SKC has allowed multiple goals only once in its last 15 games.
- A SUMMER SCORING DROUGHT: Dallas may insist they are not in a summer slump, but the goals have certainly dried up. Saturday marked the first time all season FCD have been held scoreless in consecutive matches. And with one goal so far, August marks the club’s worst offensive month since scoring four goals in just three matches in March. Including the Open Cup, Dallas are scoreless in 300 minutes at Children’s Mercy Park this season.
- THE CENTURY MARK: Saturday marked SKC’s 100th consecutive home sellout at Children’s Mercy Park in MLS play, a streak that dates back to April 7, 2012. On that day, Sporting defeated the LA Galaxy 1-0 in the middle of a seven-game winning streak to open the 2012 campaign. Children’s Mercy Park had opened less than 12 months earlier, when SKC drew Chicago 0-0 on June 9, 2011.
- SKC: Saturday, August 26 – at Houston (9 pm ET | MLS LIVE)
- DAL: Wednesday, August 23 – vs. Houston (8 pm ET | UniMas, MLS LIVE in Canada)