MLS expansion teams typically get first dibs when it comes to the various drafts and rankings used to acquire players.
But when you have two expansion teams making their debut in the same year, they'll need to take turns.
Orlando City and New York City FC, who are getting ready for their first MLS season in 2015, will go head-to-head in the Expansion Priority Draft on Wednesday. The event will be streamed live on MLSsoccer.com at 2 pm ET and hosted by former MLSer and KICKTV personality Jimmy Conrad.
After a draw conducted by supporters of both clubs to determine which club goes first, head coaches Jason Kreis (New York City) and Adrian Heath (Orlando City) will then alternate selections for priority among the following eight player acquisition mechanisms (for details on all the MLS player acquisition mechanisms, click here):
1. MLS Expansion Draft (Picks 1 or 2)
2. MLS SuperDraft (Picks 1 or 2)
3. USL PRO/NASL Player Priority Ranking (Picks 1 or 2)
4. Designated Player Ranking (Picks 1 or 2)
5. Allocation Ranking (Picks 1 or 2)
6. Discovery Ranking (Picks 20 or 21)
7. Waiver/Re-Entry Draft Ranking (Picks 20 or 21)
8. Lottery Ranking (Picks 20 or 21)
NYCFC and OCSC receive priority in five of the eight mechanisms (picks 1 or 2). They are last in three of the rankings (picks 20 or 21): Discovery ranking, Waiver/Re-Entry Draft ranking and the Lottery ranking.
The league confirmed that it's the same protocol used for recent expansion sides Montreal Impact (2012), as well as Portland Timbers and Vancouver Whitecaps (2011).