Monday marks four years to the day that Thierry Henry signed with the New York Red Bulls. How about another four?
After a record-setting, master-class performance this past weekend vs. Columbus, in which he had a hand in all four goals in a 4-1 win and became the all-time RBNY assist leader, the former Arsenal legend was voted Major League Soccer Player of the Week by the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) for Week 18 of the 2014 MLS season.
In the win, Henry set up Golden Boot leader Bradley Wright-Phillips for the opener in the 17th minute, found Lloyd Sam for another assist in the 55th minute and then set the club mark in the fourth minute of stoppage time by setting up Eric Alexander.
That assist was his 37th in regular-season play, surpassing former MetroStars legends Amado Guevara and Tab Ramos.
For good measure, Henry added a goal of his own just before halftime, calmly slotting a rebound into the upper 90 that stood as the game-winner (watch it above). That strike, as well as Wright-Phillips' are both up for AT&T MLS Goal of the Week.
Henry now leads MLS in assists this season with nine and has recorded four goals. Since joining MLS, the three-time MLS All-Star has recorded 45 goals and 37 assists in 107 regular-season appearances. He last won the MLS Player of the Week on Week 30 of the 2012 season.
New York Red Bulls have a busy week, beginning with a trip to the Philadelphia Union at PPL Park on July 16 (7 pm ET, ESPN2 and ESPN Deportes).
The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season by a panel of journalists from NASR. The group consists of members of print, television, radio and online media. More information and membership information can be found at www.soccerreporters.com.
2014 MLS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
- Week 17: Thierry Henry (New York Red Bulls)
- Week 16: Jack McInerney (Montreal Impact)
- Week 15: Luis Silva (D.C. United)
- Week 14: Fanendo Adi (Portland Timbers)
- Week 13: Deshorn Brown (Colorado Rapids)
- Week 12: Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy)
- Week 11: Federico Higuaín (Columbus Crew)
- Week 10: Harry Shipp (Chicago Fire)
- Week 9: Joao Plata (Real Salt Lake)
- Week 8: Bradley Wright-Phillips (New York Red Bulls)
- Week 7: Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
- Week 6: Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders)
- Week 5: Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders)
- Week 4: Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)
- Week 3: Bernardo Añor (Columbus Crew)
- Week 2: Jermain Defoe (Toronto FC)
- Week 1: Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)