Toward the end of last season, the editors here at MLSsoccer.com played a little game among ourselves: We tried to pick three goalscorers on a given weekend of MLS matches. After three weekends, one of two things was certain: 1) we were terrible predictors, or 2) picking three goalscorers was more difficult than we thought.
In fact, no one picked three goalscorers on any weekend. And fewer than we expected even predicted two goalscorers.
Flash forward to the 2013 MLS season, and based on our fun internal hijinks, a new fantasy game has been hatched: 3 Goal Monte. (Yes, the name is taken from the grand old street card game 3 Card Monte).
3 Goal Monte is simple to play, but hard to master. Here's how to play:
- Select three MLS players you believe will score a goal during the week.
- All goals scored by your players will go towards your weekly, monthly, and season-long total goals.
- If all three of your players score, you get a Hat Trick for the week.
- Choose a Captain by selecting the “C” on the player’s card. If your Captain scores, you will begin a streak. String together multiple weeks and try to get the longest streak.
- The tiebreaker is how many total goals will be scored on the weekend
- Weekly Prizes: Free subscription to MLS Live for the 2013 and 2014 MLS season.
- Monthly Prizes (8): Free subscription to MLS Live for the 2013 and 2014 MLS Season, and a MLS jersey of the team of your choice.
- Grand Prize (1): Trip to the 2014 MLS All-Star Match.
- Longest Streak Prize (1): Trip to the 2014 MLS All-Star Game.