GUADALAJARA, Mexico – José Francisco Torres' name has largely disappeared from media talk about the US national team, but the player himself is desperate for another shot in Jurgen Klinsmann’s squad.
“The objective is always to reach your dreams,” Torres told reporters after Tigres UANL’s game against Querétaro on Saturday. “The qualifiers are coming up, the World Cup is near and I have to work to the maximum with my club to get more opportunities with the national team.”
The 25-year-old Texan midfielder has enjoyed a fine start to his career in Monterrey, with the team sitting in first position in the league after four wins in four games, conceding just one goal in the process.
Torres missed the first two games of the season through injury, but has started the last two and is happy with how things are going after leaving Pachuca over the winter break.
“I’m thankful to Tigres for taking an interest in me, it’s a new stage in my life and I’m happy that the results are coming,” Torres said. “We’re on the right path, the team looks good and the new signings have integrated well into the team.”
Torres’ good early form for Tigres has given him an outside chance of being involved when the United States travel to Honduras on Feb. 6 for a difficult opener in the CONCACAF Hexagonal.
In a US shirt, Torres has shown flashes of technical brilliance, but has failed to nail down a regular spot in the squad and featured in just two of the six World Cup qualifiers last year.
MLS fans will get to see Torres close up in March, when Tigres have a date with the Seattle Sounders in the quarterfinals of the CONCACAF Champions League.