Revs Reserves 4, United Reserves 3

The New England Revolution Reserves came back from a two-goal deficit late in the game to defeat the D.C. United Reserves 4-3 at Gillette Stadium last Saturday night. José Cancela scored the stoppage time game-winner for the Revolution and Jamie Holmes had two goals and an assist. Nana Kuffor scored on a spectacular long-range blast for D.C. in the 63rd minute.

D.C. scored the first goal of the match in the 20th minute. United was awarded a free kick after a Revolution foul, and Eliseo Quintanilla served to ball into the box to Jason Thompson who had threaded his way into open territory in front of Revs goalkeeper Doug Warren. Thompson got a quick foot on the ball and beat Warren over his left shoulder to make the score 1-0. Though D.C. dominated possession for most of the first half, they were unable to add to their goal total and the score remained 1-0 at halftime.

In the 61st minute, the Revs leveled the score when Easton Wilson made a light pass to Luke Vercollone, who was streaking up the middle. Vercollone eluded several defenders, then took a low shot from the corner of the box that beat D.C. goalkeeper Troy Perkins low to his left to tie the game up at 1-1.

Two minutes later, in the 63rd minute, D.C. retook the lead at 2-1. United forward Nana Kuffour got on to the end of a loose ball some 33 yards from the Revolution goal and drove a first-time, bending shot to the upper left corner that a diving Warren was unable to get a hand on.

In the 65th minute, United made it 3-1 when Quintanilla laid the ball off to forward Jamil Walker, who was waiting outside of the box. Walker settled the ball and took a shot that deflected off of a Revolution player and into the net for D.C.'s third goal.

In the 76th minute New England scored its second goal of the game off of a Cancela free kick. Cancela was awarded a free kick that he played short to defender Anders Kelto, who then lofted a high pass to Jamie Holmes in the box. Holmes controlled the ball on his left foot with his back to the goal, turned 180 degrees and hit a shot with his right boot to beat substitute goalkeeper Andrew Terris at the near post.

With New England pressing for an equalizer, the Revolution tied the score in the 88th minute. On a move down the right flank, Revs midfielder Ryan Latham made a quick cross to Holmes, who was making a run to the far post. Holmes took a first time, right-rooted volley past Terris to make the score 3-3.

With the game tied in injury time, Holmes made a pass forward to Ryan Latham. He looked up and found Cancela streaking in towards open space, and played the ball to the front of the net, where Cancela came in for the quick controlling touch and then a volleyed shot that beat Terris for the game-winning goal.

New England Revolution Reserves 4, D.C. United Reserves 3

Scoring Summary:
DC - Thompson (Quintanilla) 20
NE - Vercollone (Wilson) 61
DC - Kuffour (unassisted) 63
DC - Walker (Quintanilla) 65
NE - Holmes (Kelto) 76
NE - Holmes (Latham) 88
NE - Cancela (Holmes) 90+

D.C. United Reserves - Troy Perkins (Andrew Terris 74), David Stokes, Tim Merritt, Bryan Namoff (Nick Van Sicklen 87), Brian Carroll (Matt Nickell 57), Dema Kovalenko (Kenny Arena 46), Nana Kuffour, Shawn Kuykendall (Nick Van Sicklen 88), Jason Thompson, Jamil Walker, Eliseo Quintanilla.

Head Coach: Peter Nowak

New England Reserves - Doug Warren, Easton Wilson, T.J. Tomasso, Jeff Larentowicz, Luke Vercollone, Ryan Latham, Jose Cancela, Connally Edozien, Felix Brillant, Jamie Holmes, Khano Smith (Anders Kelto 46).

Head Coach: Steve Nicol

Misconduct Summary:
DC - J.T. Thompson (caution) 60

Referee: Gus St. Silva
Attendance: n/a
Weather: Cloudy and 60 degrees

Stay connected: Get access to breaking news, videos, and analysis from North America's best soccer reporters via "This Week in MLS" newsletter or using our FREE mobile app.