A full weekend slate is on the way, which means it's time again for yours truly to step out on the shaky limb to make some fearless (or is it foolish?) predictions.
Before we dive in, let's take a quick look at how I fared last weekend. Long story short: Thanks to a stoppage-time equalizer from New York Red Bulls forward Brian White, it was seven correct predictions. I'll be aiming to top that this weekend.
Week 22 predictions so far:
- Final: FC Dallas 3, Houston Dynamo 0 (Prediction ✓: FC Dallas 3, Houston 1)
- Final: Nashville SC 1, Chicago Fire FC 1 (Prediction: Nashville 1, Chicago 2)
- Final: Columbus Crew 2, Philadelphia Union 1 (Prediction: Columbus 1, Philadelphia 1)
- Final: Atlanta United 2, FC Cincinnati 0 (Prediction: Atlanta 0, Cincinnati 0)
- Final: NYCFC 5, NY Red Bulls 2 (Prediction: NYCFC 1, RBNY 1)
- Final: Montreal Impact 0, Orlando City 1 (Prediction ✓: Montreal 1, Orlando 3)
- Final: New England Revolution 4, D.C. United 3 (Prediction ✓: NE 2, DC 0)
- Final: Toronto FC 2, Inter Miami 1 (Prediction: Toronto 1, Miami 1)
Colorado Rapids vs. Seattle Sounders
Seattle’s defense has become positively stifling this month, and their offense woke from a mini-nap in the second half of a midweek road win. They also happen to be 8-3 in their last 11 at Colorado. Those three facts don't bode well for a Rapids team still trying to find their feet after COVID-19 forced a month-long hiatus. Besides, it's nearly playoff time, so even the hottest clubs would be extra leery about squaring off with the defending champs. Seattle 3-1 counts as one of the easier picks of the weekend.
Portland Timbers vs. Vancouver Whitecaps
This is another big game with dramatic implications for both teams. The Timbers want to earn some home-field advantage. Meanwhile, a Vancouver side that has sat out three of the last four postseasons just wants to get over the playoff line. This should be one tense Cascadia clash, and I'm expecting a close one. Still going with the home favorite, though: 3-2 Portland.
LA Galaxy vs. Real Salt Lake
A pair of sinking ships will meet in Carson on Sunday, and whichever team can post a victory gets the reward of keeping slim playoff hopes alive. The visitors seem more likely to put together a sturdy defensive outing than LA, so I have to go with them. A 2-1 Real Salt Lake win seems like the safest bet.